+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Whooping cough antibodies test?

Does anyone know anything about a test to see if you are immune to whooping cough?

My mum won't have the vaccine because she is sure she will have a bad reaction - fair enough, and said she thinks she is immune to WC because she's never had it before (this doesn't seem logical to me). She said a woman at her work said you can have a blood test for antibodies to prove if you are immune.

A quick consultation with Dr Google suggests that the test will only show antibodies if a recent infection has occurred. Can you even have natural immunity to WC if you've never had it?

I'm just trying to find out more info.

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

I don't know either! But I've known a few people and kids who have been around kids that have had it and never got it so I suppose that could mean their bodies fought it off or they were just lucky!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    You grow immunity antibodies to it by having it or being vaccinated. That's it. The anti bodies only last a few years though, its not a life time thing. I think the max is about 30yrs, which is why there was such an outbreak in older people a couple of years ago.
    My mother works in an area of health where there are many people unvaccinated and has had it twice and been sent home to be tested and quarantined in case four times in the last three years! Unfortunately even antibodies don't make you completely 'immune' to something like this. They can help stop you carrying and infecting other people though...
    Also adults are far less likely to catch it than children and the elderly, which is why the parents/extended family can have a child sick but not catch it. Adults rarely have complications but babies and the elderly can die and are often hospitalized.
    Last edited by TnA; 13-09-2012 at 18:52.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    More likely between 5-9 years in terms of immunity. So I would say that unless she has a recent infection she wouldn't be immune.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Thank you everyone for your replies. I can see this situation could get difficult.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Also, the way the doctor explained it to me, is that they can test your titre levels in your blood, but even if you come back positive for it (like you've had the infection) it doesn't mean you won't catch it. It isn't like the other diseases where they can tell you that you are immune. Such an awful disease.