+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Abnormal pap smear results

Thanks heaps for that information!

Another thing that I can't find the answer for anywhere....can pap smears actually diagnose cervical cancer? Or does it only detect the precancerous cells?

I guess what I'm scared of is having the biopsy done and then finding out its more severe than first thought. I just want to be prepared.

I've had a hard, pea sized lump on my cervix for about a year now, the drs have always said it was just a cyst. But with these results, it really scares me. I've also had a lot of irregular bleeding of late, and crampy pelvic pain, which is what made the dr insist on a pap even though I wasn't due for another year. It might not even be related....but still can't help but freak out about it.

I'm having a better day today anyhow....just trying not to overthink it. This scare has given me the push that I need to improve my health and overhaul my lifestyle completely! I have set my quit smoking date for tomorrow, am going to start eating healthier, exercising regularly and taking proper care of my body. I want to be at my healthiest in order to fight this, whatever happens, I will not let it beat me!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Any smoke you don't have is a plus. So if the only way you can quit is to cut back first, that is ok... Just have a plan and do everything you can to stick with it.

Don't set yourself up to fail, if cold turkey is not something you are able to do.

Don't be too concerned about the lump. I am sure it is all ok.

IF and let's use the word IF it is cervical cancer, then you have caught it very early. And early treatment is very effective.

Catching it late is when you start having physical symptoms where you feel unwell etc. So you will be fine.

Big hug and great job so far! All the tough work is done, now that you have had your biopsy!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Abnormal pap smear results

I had an abnormal pap smear about 2 years ago. I was sent to have a colposcopy (they put vinegar in and see if they can see any abnormal cells under lights). Unfortunately I was detected to have abnormal cells which they did a biopsy on. The results showed low grade so was left for 6 months then back for another colposcopy. This test was all clear :-) a year on I did another one and also all clear. Now I'm just back to regular checkups.

Hope everything goes well for you :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just thought I'd give everyone an update.I had the biopsy today. It was the most traumatizing and second most painful thing I've ever been through...if/when I have to have another, I will be demanding a local anaesthetic. Apparently with most women it doesn't hurt, but I experienced a lot more pain and bleeding from it than is normal. Dr says that it was due to the severity of it. Have to wait for biopsy results, but it is definitely at least CIN3, and a large area is affected. Once they get results and know what they're dealing with I will be booked in for surgery ASAP. Thank you to everyone do your support.

Thanks
    Reviews
    hugs, i found the biopsy very painful too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeh it's no biggie, only very low numbers need anything other than colposcopy to monitor. True high grade lesions are rare. Most things self resolve, although obviously u need to monitor to be safe.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Lisau77 For This Useful Post:

vikster  (03-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've had a LLETZ done twice due to abnormal cells (it's rare to have a reoccurrence needing second surgery, I was just unlucky) but I experienced very minimal pain following both procedures so try not to get out off.

I had the vaccine before I got diagnosed and had zero side effects. I did get told though (after my abnormal Pap smear) that the vaccine is most effective if you get it before you become sexually active as the vast majority of people who have had sex carry hpv - obviously it doesn't cause problems for many of those but it's hard to vaccinate against something you've probably already got! If you haven't had it though I'd probably still get it just in case. It was also recommended to me that my DH get it too.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to besha For This Useful Post:

vikster  (20-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have abnormal cells, I just get yearly Pap smears, my mum was the same. Fingers crossed its nothing to worry about. You just reminded me I'm due!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Electric Pink
    i was wondering how you went with the cin3,as I also have cin3 and I'm having my biopsy this Thursday and I'm scared.