+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default help my baby girl sleep through the night!

hi im only new here and after some advice to help my 9mnth old bub sleep through the night, she goes to sleep around 7ish and then wakes up every 3hrs sometimes 2.5hrs wanting a bottle i give it to her n she falls straight back to sleep, she has a dummie and i have tried just putting it in, for 2 wks straight but we both barely got any sleep. She eats healthy and good during the day three main meals plus snacks and only wants one or two bottles during the day.any advice?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

So is she having 4-5 night bottles? Every night? That's a lot of milk to have during the night. It sounds like it has become habit and the only way she knows to go back to sleep is with a bottle and full tummy.
    Last edited by millsmum; 13-09-2012 at 12:49.

Thanks
    Reviews

I agree with millsmum - sounds like it's a habit now and you'll have to help her break it. I hate to say it, but by that age I don't think it'll be easy (ie prepare for lots of tears!). The dummy might also be a problem if she's not able to fall asleep without it but wakes up if it falls out. Whatever approach you choose, just be consistent so your DD doesn't get confused - she'll soon learn that this new way is how it's going to be from now. Also make sure you've got a really good, clear-cut bedtime routine so she knows it's time for sleep. Good luck!
    Last edited by SeaShanty; 13-09-2012 at 13:24.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I was bf-ing my 9mth old dd1 twice overnight. I do believe that 4-5 bottles are too much overnight so cut out the ones you dislike the most. I kept the 11pm and 4am feeds but ditched the 2am and pushed back the 10pm till 11pm.

But from what you said you need to increase the day bottles.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Maybe try decreasing how much you give her with each bottle until eventually it is not milk but water. There will be tears but it will be worth it. Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We used Jay Gordon's night weaning technique to reduce night feeds. http://drjaygordon.com/attachment/sleeppattern.html
    I know it says not before 1 year, but that is to completely stop instead of reduce.

At 9 months she may still need 1 or 2 feeds but should be able to go for a longer period of time that 3 hours. If she is only having 2 bottles during the day then that is probably not enough and is making up for it at night. I would be encouraging more milk and as much food as possible during the day at the same time as weaning at night to restore the balance.

We had a few nights of not much sleep, but it quickly got better. DH did a lot of the resettling as that also helped to change the dynamic. Can your DP help?

Thanks
    Reviews
    yes well Ive tried decreasing her milk during the day but she eats alot n refuses her bottle im convinced it is a habit, i have tried just putting her back to sleep at night i did that every night for 2 weeks n still then there was a slight change of maybe half hour to an hour, i guess ill just have to keep trying.. so tiring though! shes a very determined baby when she wants something!
    If i can get her to sleep even 4 hours will make a big difference for me as i work study and practically a single parent as my partner works monday-saturday

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree, it sounds like a habit. And the problem with the dummy is that she has not learnt how to self settle. I recently came back from a sleep school. They taught me a settling technique and the trick is to resettle everytime she wakes at night. She will slowly get the message that waking does not equal food. By giving her food you are actually rewarding the behaviour. If you can, I recommend to maybe get a sleep consultant come to your home?