+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    heeeeerekittykitty is offline My babies, my cats ....ahhhh , bliss !!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Utterly devastated - looking for positive stories

Thank you so much to everyone for your replies and support and understanding . I can't thank you all enough for just getting it, even those of you that don't have SN children.

I was really worried no one would understand just how upset I was and would think my reaction was silly and selfish and ungrateful. I just feel heartbroken . I can't even look at he's beautiful face without my heart hurting .

Would love to hear from more people with positive stories and experiences . Especially those with older children that have ASD ?

As a PP stated , the future does look bleak at the moment, and I know that's probably ridiculous but just thinking he will never speak is enough to make me sob let alone all the other challenges he may face.

Thank you again much .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't have a child with autism but I have worked with many children and families. There are so many wonderful things I have seen and worked with, the milestones are still celebrated and there are still so many special moments that ASD kids give you. Families deal with things in very different ways but of all the families I've worked with they have all seen things become brighter as the child grew. As PP said it is a spectrum and therefore capabilities are not limited just because there is a diagnosis. Kids in school who grow up with ASD kids are very understanding and caring towards these children in their grade and more often than not are included in many social things both in and out of school. I've worked in an autistic school for a time and it really was a wonderful experience, it might seem bleak for you now but I truly believe that it won't always feel like this. I would recommend you getting in touch with local groups of parents with autistic children, they can be a wonderful support network - the people doing your child's assessments will be able to put you in touch with these sorts of networks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    www.wrongplanet.net is a brilliant site for autistic people and family of autistic people . I'm sure it's . Net ? Anyway it has a forum if you want to hear from adult autistics and understand more from their point of view. Big hugs xxx

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks baby nomad I'll check it out tonight when the kids are in bed. I think I do need to find some sort of support group as well outside of bubhub that are going through the same thing .

I really want to get involved in another Playgroup as the current one I'm a member of I've recently just stopped going to .

As all the other kids developed along at the usual pace it was becoming more and more apparent DS was falling behind and I didn't feel at this point in time it suited he's needs . It was becoming abit more structured, all the other kids were chattering away , following instructions , doing crafts etc and it really wasn't working for us , not to mention just feeling awkward with the constant explaining of no he's not talking yet etc . So the playconnect Playgroup sounds like its just what I need . I also feel like the play dates I once had have slowly drifted off and I'm not sure if it's because of the differences in our children :-(

6. The Following User Says Thank You to heeeeerekittykitty For This Useful Post:

Happy2be3  (12-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    I don't have a child with autism but I have worked with many children and families. There are so many wonderful things I have seen and worked with, the milestones are still celebrated and there are still so many special moments that ASD kids give you. Families deal with things in very different ways but of all the families I've worked with they have all seen things become brighter as the child grew. As PP said it is a spectrum and therefore capabilities are not limited just because there is a diagnosis. Kids in school who grow up with ASD kids are very understanding and caring towards these children in their grade and more often than not are included in many social things both in and out of school. I've worked in an autistic school for a time and it really was a wonderful experience, it might seem bleak for you now but I truly believe that it won't always feel like this. I would recommend you getting in touch with local groups of parents with autistic children, they can be a wonderful support network - the people doing your child's assessments will be able to put you in touch with these sorts of networks.
    Thanks so much for this post it's very comforting , it really was . School is a major thing I'm terrified of especially if he never develops speech . The thought of him having to go to a main****** school but not have speech is utterly terrifying to me , he couldn't even come home and tell me if someone done something to him :-(

Thx to everyone else also, I'd love to quote and thank you all individually to show my gratitude but please accept a collective thank you so much :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: Utterly devastated - looking for positive stories

Autism is a spectrum. My son is at the very high functioning end, Aspergers... So my experience is unlikely to be anything remotely similar to what a mother of a child with Classic Autism would experience. (I don't know which end of the spectrum your son sits, so I'm just pointing out my advise may not be of any help)

Best wishes, im am absolutely positive he will far exceed any if the expectations you have for him :-) Do what you can, research whenever you can and do not just take a doctors "word for it".... Follow your intuition and try all the alternative medicines. ALOT of them do work :-)
    Last edited by Happy2be3; 12-09-2012 at 20:30.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: Utterly devastated - looking for positive stories

Oh, and there are HEAPS of Facebook groups.. It's awesome to be able ask questions and even just complain to people who understand :-)
    ASD Kidz is a good one.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by heeeeerekittykitty View Post
    Thanks so much for this post it's very comforting , it really was . School is a major thing I'm terrified of especially if he never develops speech . The thought of him having to go to a main****** school but not have speech is utterly terrifying to me , he couldn't even come home and tell me if someone done something to him :-(

Thx to everyone else also, I'd love to quote and thank you all individually to show my gratitude but please accept a collective thank you so much :-)
    My child has classic autism on severe end of spectrum. He already has an aide at childcare and with diagnosis is eligible for local autism school. You might find that there is a school like Aspect near you when you come to schooling. Otherwise we have already been given option of having a full time aide for school as well.
    Communication- my child has about 5 words at current and rest of his speech is echolalia and jargon from songs and the tv. We are using basic sign language, flash cards and PECs (has signs with 'I want' on one card and then food items on seperate cards. Only just starting this) to help him communicate his wants. He has had his own iPad since beginning of the year and is also using that to communicate. Sent you a PM with some extra info and ideas as well.

Thanks
    Reviews