+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Worried about my position at work

I have been working with a large company since december 2011, the co-ord went on stress leave on the 29th Jan 2012. I took over the position to help out while she was away, with the knowledge that if she was to return she would take the roll back. If not the position would be advertised and i would need to apply for it.

Today she handed in her resignation and hasnt been back to work since Jan. I am so worried that i wont get the position as i am now 19 weeks pregnant and will need to go on maternity leave. I plan on only taking 3 months off as thats all we can afford and gives me some time with bub.

Would you hire someone knowing that the person would be having 3 months off for maternity leave?

I love my job so much, all the clients and staff its the most amazing and rewarding job i have ever had.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes i would hire them still.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yes I would. Especially if they knew the job and had been doing a great job, the fact that you love what you do would be a bonus too. I'd make it really clear how much you enjoy being there etc...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I'm pretty sure they can't take your pregnancy into account when considering you for the position.

Honestly if I was making the decision, I'd prefer to keep an existing employee who knows and loves the job over taking a risk on a new person who'd need training and time to settle in. Even if you're going on leave for a few months, it's better to retain good employees long-term.

Good luck, I hope they give you the job!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you ladies, i have been freaking out all day! Im trying to stay calm, i live and breathe my job and everyone knows when i talk about it. I always get praise from management, i hope i am just being a hormonal pregnant lady and it will all be fine.

Thanks
    Reviews

May I ask what you do for work?

Thanks
    Reviews
    a caring role... cryptic enough giggles. Bit worried if i put in the proper name that it might come back on me sorry

Thanks
    Reviews

That's ok I was just curious!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do they know your pregnant?

I took a new job before I knew I was pregnant- by the time I actually started I was 2 months. I had to tell them I was pregnant when I was still on probation. I work in an incredibly small industry where jobs are few and far between, and the jobs that DO come up are insanely competitive. BUT, they have been fabulous. Just had the maternity leave convo (I want to take 3 months too, then come back PT), and they gave it to me. Honestly, they have been fabulous and I did not expect it at all.

SO... my thoughts would be, go for it- especially if your already in the role!! You'd be amazed how flexible even the toughest industries can be

Thanks
    Reviews
    UPDATE: I got the job WOOT WOOT Best job ever!!!