+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Do you buy popular brand names or cheaper generic brands at the supermarket?

FL- I am slowly trying to phase out shopping in a super market, if only DP would give up junk food :/

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I buy very little at coles/woolies these days - only really cleaning products (I buy the brandless antibacterial wipes but everything else is branded: homebrand paper towel SUCKS!). I buy my meat from a wholesaler for ridiculously cheap prices (and fantastic meat!), fruit and veg from markets or an independent greengrocer, chocolate from IKEA (yum!) and lollies from a sweet company in Alexandria!

I buy brand-less pasta and rice, tinned tomatoes (only if it doesn't have added sugar/salt etc), corn thins (taste exactly the same!), frozen food (veg, hash browns) and other pantry staples like that. But I compare ingredients too. But from the greengrocer down the road.

I buy eggs from a local hobby farm (otherwise I buy branded free-range ones: I won't compromise on eggs) and other dairy stuff from the small greengrocer down the road.
    Last edited by rainbow road; 12-09-2012 at 16:11.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Do you buy popular brand names or cheaper generic brands at the supermarket?

I do, I rarely go to Coles and woolies and would never buy meat or veg from there ( I think maybe potatoes or onions I have)
    Like pp said I read they are trying to get everyone used to buying their home brand to push out the other suppliers so in say 10 years there is only the big 2 and they can charge what they want as they will have the monopoly

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I try to buy Australian made and owned, or local meat and veg producers where possible. If something is Australian and a little more expensive, I'll buy it. Things like sugar, flour etc - if it all comes from Australia I'll go generic.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

It depends... I've done some trial and error and some home brand products are just as good as the more expensive ones.
    Things I buy home brand are: shredded mozzarella cheese, flour, sugar, household sponges, vinegar (for cleaning), baking soda, nuts and dried fruits, ice cream, hand soap oh and Woolworth chocolate chips cookies are the best!
    Things I would not buy home brand: toilet paper, milk, detergent, eggs, frozen chips or wedges, pasta
    Other stuff I might buy occasionally or I would give it a go, but I wouldn't not buy it just because it was home brand...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    no not really. only for things such as sugar etc, but sometimes i find their own brand is more expensive than the ''expensive'' brand. I went to buy sugar the other day and it cost 55c more than the actual CSR brand.. no brainer as to which one i went for.

some home brand things just taste awful.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Do you buy popular brand names or cheaper generic brands at the supermarket?

I use homebrand on stuff like toilet paper, nappies, wipes, dishcloths, cereals, bread. At one stage I bought everything homebrand but have started buying brand name laundry powder, dishwashing liquid, other cleaning products. I used to buy homebrand margarine but have swapped to flora because it's easier to spread.

Sent from my LT26i using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Do you buy popular brand names or cheaper generic brands at the supermarket?

I do buy some homebrand (eg quick oats, flour) but not all as sometimes they have more salt and sugar.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Having to feed 7 sometimes 8 people on one wage, home brands are my life saver. There are some things I won't buy eg tinned asparagus but on a whole they are fairly good. I buy meat in bulk from IGA as they are often cheaper, I cut it up myself. eg a whole rump in a roast, steaks, stir fry, diced meat for casserole etc...

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    mostly I try to buy Australian made and owned products (although its hard these days)

ie. I buy SKippy cornflakes rather then kellogs cornflakes and GRants toothpaste rather then McCleans, Gippy milk instead of other brands (sorry brian mush can't think of the other brands).

Beyond that when they all kinda the same big companies - I tend to buy IGA branded - would rather my money go to them then unilever/P&G.

If I am forced into a coles/woolies I would never buy their brands, not quality wise but I think they are the devil spawn.