+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Do you buy popular brand names or cheaper generic brands at the supermarket?

I.e -

Coles frozen vegetables 1kg - $1.73
    McCain frozen vegetables 1kg - $5.31

Or home brand at woollies I'm sure is similar.

I am doing Coles click and collect online for the first time and their brand stuff is so cheap! I've only spent $12 so far on 7 items, whereas at woolies i wouldve spent that on 2 items, i always bought the expensive brands and my grocery bill is always well above $300, so I've been told by friends to trial this. Do you think you get better quality in the popular brands, or is that purely what you're paying the money for - the name. Just curious

Thanks
    Reviews
    I buy home brands for basics where they all taste the same, veg, frozen chips, breadcrumbs, spices etc, but there are some thing you just have to have the real thing. Cereals would be one I suppose but as I don't eat them I wouldn't know. I shop at Aldi and that is like Homebrand Central and most things there are great. But sorry I have to have real Magnums.....

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Do you buy popular brand names or cheaper generic brands at the supermarket?

Ohh yes and stuff like Moccona coffee and Cadbury chocolate I have to keep them

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Same as above, I'll buy the cheap stuff for basics and will pay more for stuff that I know tastes better or works better - for example I'm using the woolies cheapo dishwasher tablets and they suck, always grainy bits on my glasses. I'm going back to a better brand! On the other hand i was happier with the ingredient list on the woolies pasata over the name brand one so I get the cheap one.

There are a few things I factor in besides just price.

bunkx is offline Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Im happy to always try a generic brand sometimes there really good and I'm happy to keep using them other times there gross so I use a brand I'm happy with.

Like other people have said some things I always buy the big branded name eg coffee, chocolate, washing powder

I have saved a lot on my shopping bill by using generic brands when I can

Thanks
    Reviews

What about fresh veggies, would you get all them from Coles/woollies or go to a fruit and veg shop?

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are really lucky as we live near some market gardens and they sell local produce fresh. I would tend to use a veg shop, but will use coles/Aldi when I need to. I would rather my money go to the farmers than the big chains where I can.

Thanks
    Reviews

Basics I go the cheaper brands.
    Things like bread, milk, cosmetics/toiletries/toilet paper I prefer the dearer brands.

Buy all meat from butchers and fruit/veges from fruit shop. It's always nicer from the fruit shop and I save around $20.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Re: Do you buy popular brand names or cheaper generic brands at the supermarket?

I buy more brand names because I can't stand the monopoly the big 2 supermarkets have, it makes my skin crawl. I'd rather my money go to local companies that support local producers than pay a few bucks less and have the supermarkets bully the supplier's prices down even more than they do now. When I go in my Coles now it's almost impossible to find some products that aren't Coles own brand.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

fairyflossfairy  (12-09-2012),Happy2be3  (12-09-2012),Luna Lovegood  (13-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

I buy names mostly as I am GF so hard to buy generic except woolies is slowly bringing stuff out!

Veggies/fruit we goto farmers market & we have chickens for our own eggs. We buy Paris Creek organic milk, haven't tried the cheaper version I like it because it's zero fat and still has taste!