+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Waiting lists for anon sperm donor??

I think I may have asked this once before, but I don't recall getting m/any answers:

If you used an anonymous sperm donor through a fertility clinic's donor program (NOT imported from overseas, as they don't do that anymore), how long did you have to wait from when you decided to go ahead with donor, to your first cycle using donor?

I have heard people mention time periods that are massive in variation, from immediate start, to nearly 2 years waiting!

We won't know for at least a few weeks if we need donor, but I want to prepare myself in case I really do need to wait a while. Honestly I'd prefer to wait less than 3 months, and absolutely no more than 6 months...

Oh, and anyone who answers, if you want to tell me which clinic you went to that would be great too. Thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews

Clinics recruit their own donors, so it depends on what the clinic has available. They could have plenty of donors, or none. Best way would be to ask a few of the clinics you are looking at, and see how their "stocks" are.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Zabella For This Useful Post:

Sariele  (13-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Oh, and depending upon the state, they may not be anonymous. For example, you can't have an anonymous donor in Victoria. The child has the right to find out heh identity o heir genetic parent at 18 years old. Earlier with mutual consent :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there, I went to a Fert Clinic info evening last night and they said they had sperm available immediately via a USA clinic who they have an arrangement with... there is a significant cost involved, but it is available immediately... hope that helps

6. The Following User Says Thank You to IBelieve For This Useful Post:

Sariele  (13-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Fertility First import think the name of the company is zytec. No waiting list. They also have known donors but very small amount. Only waiting time is for counselling but that was pretty quick.
    Last edited by rae81; 12-09-2012 at 19:05.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to rae81 For This Useful Post:

Sariele  (13-09-2012)

littlesunflowers is offline It's not about the seeds - it's how you grow the flowers
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Sariele We're with QFG, they do import U.S. sperm (donor is identifiable to the child at age 18) and there was no wait. Since our failed TESA in late June we've found and "purchased" our donor, and as far as I know his contribution is good to go when we are. There were about 14 donors on the list at the time we chose, a mix of Australian and American. There was more donor information available than I expected, too - even baby AND adult photos of some of them!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to littlesunflowers For This Useful Post:

Sariele  (14-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey babe. It was under 3 months (maybe more like 2) for us with IVF Australia. It used to be longer, but they have more donors now.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to peoniesarepretty For This Useful Post:

Sariele  (15-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by peoniesarepretty View Post
    Hey babe. It was under 3 months (maybe more like 2) for us with IVF Australia. It used to be longer, but they have more donors now.
    Hi, just wondering which IVF clinic this was and when, as I am being told 6 months by IVF at Bondi Junction. I'm doing IUI

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Mumma. Pretty sure that IVFA have a centralised list, it's not per clinic. I have heard from someone else the waiting time has gotten a bit longer recently, but they'll tell you worst case scenario. I think it can take a bit longer sometimes too for single women or same sex couples, only because there are some donors who may stipulate they don;t want to donate to one or both of those, which can extend the time on waiting list. I think in our case, being a straight married couple with male factor issues, it might have helped make it quicker.

It was early this year.

Thanks
    Reviews
    P.S. I kow Fertility East & Fertility First generally don't have waiting lists. Hope that helps.