+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Hamilton Island

Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post
    You can, although I didn't find it great where I went snorkelling. We went right off the beach from the Beach Club hotel, and it was pretty rough underfoot, and also quite murky.

I've been snorkelling in other countries and found it to be much clearer/ more beautiful. I got frustrated doing it off Hamilton as you had to go a long way out (from the beach) to see anything, and there were lots of rocks/ rough things in the water - so that plus the darkness/ murkiness meant it wasn't very rewarding.

I asked at the hotel about that, and they said it was best to take one of the trips out, where you go to the good spots by boat. We didn't have time to do that, unfortunately.
    Yeah we've done lots of snorkeling in Vanuatu and New Caledonia. We've done 6 cruises. Got a bit spoilt because it's easy off the beach in many places there.
    I was wondering if the snorkeling at Hamilton might be a bit like at Brampton Island where you have to go a bit out to the 'fish bowl' and it was very tide dependent. I got a bit freaked out cause it was rough & murky to get there and I couldn't see more than 10cm in front of my face! I'm fine with swimming a way out as long as there's ok visibility!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Hamilton Island

Quote Originally Posted by jacobsmamma View Post
    We have been twice now. Once with kids. They were 1 and 2.5 years. Fantastic holiday destination! We went in April/May so still quite cold but we were still able to swim a few days.
    We went out to the reef one day with Fantasea cruise. I wouldn't advise doing this with younger kids. Complete disaster wait till they are older.
    If u are staying at one of the bigger hotels (as compared to say a holiday house) kids stay and eat free. That was awesome.
    Definitely hire the golf buggy for your stay on the island. Really makes it easier with kids.
    You can definitely do snorkeling on Hamilton. Most beach/water activities are included in your stay with the hotels too. You can also book snorkeling tours.
    We stayed at reef view hotel. It was fantastic however, when we first arrived we were put in a room on the 15th floor. My 2 boys would have been up and over the (very short and un-safe) rails in an instant. Had to request a room much lower to the ground (first floor). Didn't have a 'reef view' but was much safer with 2 adventurous boys.
    Hmmm... can't think of anything else really but if u have any questions feel free to ask
    We're thinking of the reef view hotel. Are the balconies really unsafe??! DD is three so reasonable able to follow instructions to stay off the balcony but I'd worry if there's wasn't a decent locking door to the balcony as you can't watch them 24/7. We only have a single storey house so she's not used to being careful on balconies.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Hamilton Island

Quote Originally Posted by bezzy View Post
    We're thinking of the reef view hotel. Are the balconies really unsafe??! DD is three so reasonable able to follow instructions to stay off the balcony but I'd worry if there's wasn't a decent locking door to the balcony as you can't watch them 24/7. We only have a single storey house so she's not used to being careful on balconies.
    The balconies off the rooms do lock. However the balconies are a cement block with railing on top of block IYKWIM?? So really easy to climb for little ones. Also the hallways to get to rooms are all open with very unsafe railings. Completely freaked me out. Think 15 floors up just looking straight down. No. Thank. You.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Great to read some good feedback we are heading to Hamilton Island in November, we are spending 5 nights in Airlie Beach at the Whitsunday Resort which is a BIG4 cabin and caravan park - looks amazing and very very family friendly, we are then spending 3 nights on Hamilton Island - havent booked accomodation as yet so if anyone has some recomendations

Thanks
    Reviews
    Does anyone know if they have stinger nets off any of the beaches? (Not for snorkelling, just swimming). Trying to work out best time of year to go with stinger season.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Hamilton Island

Quote Originally Posted by bezzy View Post
    Does anyone know if they have stinger nets off any of the beaches? (Not for snorkelling, just swimming). Trying to work out best time of year to go with stinger season.
    Nope no stinger nets. They do have warnings everywhere and explain what time of year etc the stingers are there. We went in September the first time we went and there were no stingers. You should check out hamiltonisland.com.au I'm sure they would have all the info u need on there as to the best time of year to go.

hakuna matata is offline The artist formerly know as babyhopeful
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We loved it so much we got married there
    It is beautiful. We have been a few times, the most recent was for our wedding and Ds was 9 months old. He had a great time in the pools and we even put him in the kids club one afternoon. Personally, we've always stayed in an apartment, booked through stayz.com.au
    Much better if you want to cook too and more roomy. They also include complimentary golf buggies do you don't have to hire for $90 a day.
    Also if you are staying a week and looking to cook a few meals I recommend getting groceries delivered from Coles online on the mainland. Normal grocery prices as opposed to the expensive general store on the island. Hope that helps

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've been to hayman without kids and I think Hamilton would be better if your going with kids. You just catch a boat out to hayman so don't have to go on a sea plane its super expensive though and not much for kids to do there. We will be going to Hamilton next time we go up