+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Housewife

I'm a part time working mum, and considering leaving my job so I can concentrate on parenting and keeping house full time. I find it very hard to work and do all this, personally. Plus I never have any time to study (my course finishes in a year, only completed two units and can't drop out because I'll still have to pay). I'm just on a crappy junior retail pay rate so not going to cause any huge difficulties money wise

Has anyone left their job to be a full time mum/housewife? Did you miss working? Do you find it easier?

P.s I have an obsession with the 60's so this may have had some level of influence!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Housewife

I was a very driven and career minded and worked straight for 20 years before falling pregnant, everyone, including DH thought I'd be back at work within 3 months as I was such a control freak ( we own the
    Business) literally the day he was born I could not give a rats about work, now he is 22 months , I go in a few hours a week just for sales meetings and if I ever need to help out but I hate it!
    I find being a SAHM fantastic , I definitely do not miss work and dealing with strangers and clients and staff and all the stress and long hours that go with it, staying at home is so much easier ( for me ) than working plus I get to spend all day with my son!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Housewife

I was very career driven and went back to work full time when DD was 12 weeks old. It was fine at first but after 6 months or so I was burning out trying to juggle work,home,marriage,mummy hood and all on broken sleep every night. I had a break for a couple of months and then went back to work again as we could not afford to live on one wage.
    I was unhappy and me and DH fought a lot and separated for short periods a few times. Something had to give.
    I quit my job Dec last year, we sold our house and moved to a cheaper city so I could stay at home. I tried to do some casual work because I felt guilty for not working but in the end I wasn't earning much more than the Childcare,travel costs etc.
    Now I am a full time stay at home mummy and I love it. We have VERY little money left over after DHs wage and we will slowly eat away at the money we have left from our house sale. BUT neither of us care about the money because we are happy now. I'm hardly ever stressed, DD is much better behaved when she does not have stressed parents and I have fallen in love with my DH all over agin. I look forward to him getting home from work each day. We are unable to conceive another child so I regret going back to work and wish we had made this decision sooner.
    If you can afford to stay home then go for it. It takes a couple of months to completely relax into being at home all the time (the first couple of weeks i was racing around getting all the housework,jobs etc done and trying to get as much done in a day as I could) but once you become accustomed to it and the pace of life slows down its heaven. I can easily have a whole day pass where I have done very little 'jobs' because I have been hanging out with DD.
    DH loves it too because he is not spending all his free time on housework because I try to do all the regular house cleaning since he is at work, leaving him more time to relax with me and DD at home.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Housewife

If you can afford to stay at home, do it. Your bubbies are only small once and you can't wish the time back.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jennybaby For This Useful Post:

Happy2be3  (13-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Housewife

How many days part-time did you work? When I worked 4 days (for two months) it was awful! I found 3 days (shortish days) a great balance. Also ds would spend 1 day at each grandma and then I had dinner there, so it was nice for all of us.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Housewife

Quote Originally Posted by aish View Post

P.s I have an obsession with the 60's so this may have had some level of influence!

That is so cute! We always.knew when we conceived DD that I would become a full time homemaker. It works for us and we love it. I definitley was born in the wrong era. Send me to the 50's anyday!!

Sent from my GT-I5503T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Housewife

Im sure there were tons of women in the 50/60's that would have loved to have worked casual/part-time but weren't allowed to once they had children because they just weren't allowed to return or lost their position to someone else or because it was socially unacceptable .
    I have nothing against SAHM's am one ATM however it wasn't all peachy back then.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 2BlueBirds For This Useful Post:

BornToBe  (13-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Housewife

Quote Originally Posted by singa06 View Post
    How many days part-time did you work? When I worked 4 days (for two months) it was awful! I found 3 days (shortish days) a great balance. Also ds would spend 1 day at each grandma and then I had dinner there, so it was nice for all of us.
    I've been working at least three days a week for nine months. Most weeks I've done four or five days a week and have to drive all over the city to work at different stores.

Thanks
    Reviews
    After dedicating myself to my career for over 10 years not working was a bit of a shock. DS is 8 months now and I have just gone back to work 2 days per week. Just the last 2 days I have been contemplating how fulfilling I actually find it at the moment - not sure, I'm at a different place, in a different role and it's all very different. I only work 2 days a week and I'm definitely not doing anymore than this - 2 days is enough for me. I'm giving it until the end of the year to decide if I continue on next year. Maybe see if you can drop some hours and see how that feels...

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Housewife

I did it just over a year ago. Like a PP I went back to work super early after having DD because my career was important to me and because at that time - and for most of the next three years - I was a better mother as a working mother.

But in the midst of renegotiating my contract at work I realised I didn't want to be constrained by employment. I didn't want the morning rush, I didn't value the company of my colleagues more than DD and frankly I didn't need to be employed to be mentally stimulated.

I've never looked back.

But I was ready for it. I'm not sure if I had done it a second earlier I would have been.