+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Big dogs small yard??

Hi, anyone out there have big dogs but a small yard? We need to move house, but the only one we can find that meets the majority of our needs has quite a small yard.
    It has a very large deck out the back to property boundary, about 3m of space down each side and the front yard (23x5m) is fenced. Dogs also have free access to our house. Nice park a couple of houses down for walks but not off leash. Anyone in a similar living situation?? Does it work ok for you??

Thanks
    Reviews

I have a 55kg Rottweiler who couldn't care less what size his yard is, hence next house will have a small yard area. He just seats around the deck and comes inside when he feels like it, he only hangs out the front yard which is quite small, I think your dog will be fine as long as you do take him//her on walks and maybe the doggy park every so often.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think it depends on the dog. We have a golden retriever and live in a unit (with an ok size yard, but not huge). She is fine, but we are within walking distance to a dog park and the beach - she usually gets walked twice a day and would go stir crazy without lots of exercise/stimulation. I think big dogs can be happy in small yards if they are getting enough interaction, exercise and mental stimulation- obviously exactly how much is needed depends on the individual dog!

Thanks
    Reviews

They mostly just lay around all day, but do like to once a day or so go outside and run around like crazy and 'battle' each other. They're 4 years old so don't do it as much as they used to.
    I'm not too worried about them getting enough exercise cause I can take them for a walk, it's just that running around crazy and really stretching their legs I'm worried they'll be restricted in.
    I was excited when I found online a dog park walking distance near that house, but when I went to check it out I discovered its not fenced. It would need to be fenced for my dogs lol!!
    Anyone know of good fenced dog park on the gold coast? We're looking around runaway bay.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi OP, we are in rather similar situation. We are also looking for a house to move into at the moment. I would love to have a nice big backyard cos i have a golden retriever and soon, two active boys.

I think a small backyard is fine for a large dog if he gets exercised somewhere else. Even with a large backyard, he would just lay around and wants to come into the house where we are. My dog is also an indoor dog but he gets to go into the yard to sun and play daily. Having said that, with a small backyard, I would love to have a decent tuft of grass for his pooing and I would like a mulched area for him to do his peeing (he is trained to pee on mulch or the grass will die from his pee). I also like a covered deck to place his kennel and so that he can have shelter during rains when we are out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have a red heeler/kelpie cross and a small courtyard with our unit. Our dog is walked twice a day and will run along with my bike (once I get the tires pumped up!). I don't think the size of the yard matters as long as the dog gets enough exercise elsewhere.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by angelini View Post
    We have a red heeler/kelpie cross and a small courtyard with our unit. Our dog is walked twice a day and will run along with my bike (once I get the tires pumped up!). I don't think the size of the yard matters as long as the dog gets enough exercise elsewhere.
    Haha, can't see myself being able to have my boxers run along next to my bike, I can just see the chaos now!!!! If only I had chosen a sensible breed...

ToughLove is offline Meaner than a junkyard dog
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Member
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I've had my four in a paved yard the size of a small bedroom for about 6 months.
    If they all lay down on their sides, they covered every inch of space.

The only way they didn't eat themselves with boredom is by twice daily walks, and every second day an off leash run at the lure coursing track.

Try out boredom busters like treat balls, Kongs and beef stock frozen into butter containers {take it out of the container once frozen, of course}
    Mental stimulation is just as important as physical.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We lived with 2 boxers in a yard the same size as what you described for a year. They are inside dogs mostly anyway so they were fine with the garden, and we took them to the dog park or walked them everyday. Now we have half an acre and they loooove chasing each other around, but I think they've been just as happy in both big and small yards.