+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I read it can have an effect on breastfeeding? Has anyone who had pethidine encountered bf problems initially?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pink ribbon View Post
    I read it can have an effect on breastfeeding? Has anyone who had pethidine encountered bf problems initially?
    I did and my milk came through after 5 days but i had a few other factors to consider. My breasts were underdeveloped and I had issues with supply and I had a c/s which I think can effect milk coming through.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to FertileMertile For This Useful Post:

pink ribbon  (12-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Did pethadine work for you?

Pethadine didn't work for me, I was given it in my last half hour of labour, which I later heard they are not supposed to do.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Did pethadine work for you?

I loved it too. I arrived at hospital, exhausted, pale and vomiting, only 4cm. Contractions all over the place and not regular at all. First baby so the middy thought I'd take a while to progress and gave me the peth with something for the nausia, it doesn't take the pain away, but relaxes you - so I was still in agony but slept and rested between contractions which helped my labour progress. By the time I was ready to push it had worn off and I switched to the gas, which they ended up having to pry off of me because I wasn't pushing hard enough, but as soon as they did, my head cleared up and I was able to push my big beautiful boy out and felt great - I had so much energy after giving birth I could have climbed a mountain! I think the peth really helped me have a relaxed labour, but isn't for everyone.

Sent from my HTC One X using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Did pethadine work for you?

No breast feeding issues for me at all.

Sent from my HTC One X using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I loved it, it was exactly what I needed. It made me feel a bit out of it, which is what I wanted. I still knew the contractions were happening, but my head was flying so I didn't care. I had been in proper labour for about 12 hours, no sleep for 36 hours, was exhausted and didn't think I could do it. The peth made me relax and I made it through to 9cm, which was when I had my "I can do it from here, let's go" second wind.

I did have problems breastfeeding (milk never came in) but I don't think that can be attributed to the pethidine alone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had it with DD1 & 2 & all it did was make me sleepy, feel nauseous & made it harder to cope with the contractions. I refused it with DD3

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Did pethadine work for you?

I had it with DS1's labour and I really think it affected him with alertness and being incredibly sleepy after birth. He was slow to have a first breastfeed and was really fatigued. It took a bit of coaxing by the nurses when he came out and was slightly blue.

I didnt have anything with DS2 and he was very alert and latched very easily.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahjong View Post
    I had it with DS1's labour and I really think it affected him with alertness and being incredibly sleepy after birth. He was slow to have a first breastfeed and was really fatigued. It took a bit of coaxing by the nurses when he came out and was slightly blue.

I didnt have anything with DS2 and he was very alert and latched very easily.
    It crosses the placenta so affects bub, which can make them sleepy to feed. I went into casualty at 14 weeks with severe gastro, and they wanted to give me morphine for the stomach cramps (the pain was 9 out of 10) but I refused. I had panadol only lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It did absolutely nothing for my pain, it only made me really sleepy. DS wasnt born for another 10 hours after i had it so the tiredness has worn off by the time it was time to push.
    I had an epidural and LOVED it!