+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Did pethadine work for you?

Just looking to see the effect of this during birth for pain relief? did u find it effective or not? the good, bad and ugly please.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm interested to know too. Also the effect on the baby. A lady I know who is studying to be a midwife said its not great for the baby especially if you have fast labours but I really want drugs this time, even if it only takes the edge off. Not keen on an epidural.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Stephv For This Useful Post:

pink ribbon  (12-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Pethidine made me sick, after I was given the shot in my upper thigh, I felt really light headed and ended up throwing up. It didn't help with the contractions at all!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to FemmeFatale For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

It caused DD1 to come out blue. I don't think it helped at all. Did it with just gas next two times, avoided peth.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubs'n'Roses For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

It made me very groggy. I didn't feel like it helped with pain at all. I did like it in the sense that I was so tired and worn out and everytime I had a contraction I would then fall into a very deep power nap which seemed like 15mins at a time but it was only 2mins. So I believe it helped me get through it.

I was groggy for about 2 hours after. I had a hard time bonding with bub at first (not sure of that's because when he was born I was so out of it) and bub was a little drowsy, slightly blue and didn't cry but was very healthy all the same.

However my second birth was a drug free birth and was less painful then when i was on pethadine and I was more alert.

It's a painful jab to the thigh, didn't help pain wise but I was happy to have it. Probably wouldnt have it again but would much rather it then an epidural.
    Last edited by 1CrazyMoose; 12-09-2012 at 11:23.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 1CrazyMoose For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

No. It didn't. It made me drowsy, doped up and feel sick. After baby was born I was still out of it until the next day.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest1234 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    It helped me, yes I felt a bit out of it but not in a bad way, I certainly don't remember having a transition phase! HOWEVER, I had a faster labour than expected an DS decided to make a swift entrance just as the Peth was kicking in, it didn't cause any problems with pushing ( well for the whole 8 minuets I was pushing for!) but after them forcing me to try and breast feed for what seemed like a painful ages, they suddenly realized DS was too cold an he had to go to SCU for a couple of hours to warm up. I now suspect this may have been because of the Peth, although it could have been because they were trying to get me to BF for ages in a freezing airconditioned room.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Lil M For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

I had Peth with my first. They checked first and were confident I still had hours to go however Bub was born 40mins later . Despite having a lot of drs n midwifes freaking out about it, she was perfectly fine

15. The Following User Says Thank You to MandeePandee For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didnt like it at all. It made both me and bubs dopey. Pain side of things its took the edge off but I dont think it was worth it.

Although in some sense it did help me cope being rushed in for a emergency c/s as I was so out of it.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to FertileMertile For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    It was perfect for me. It didn't take the pain off the contractions but it let me rest between them, which was what I was after. I was given it when I was 4cm, we thought we had ages before DS would be born, but he arrived two hours later. He was fine, came out screaming, but given that he arrived quite quickly I will try not to have it next time.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Hamilicious For This Useful Post: