+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Meals for a 16 month old

Help!! I'm running out of healthy ideas for morning tea snacks, lunch and dinner (just eats what we eat n we don't eat great) she won't eat fruit. Is there any sneaky things I can do to get fruit in snacks. I am in need of help n ideas please!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I make banana pikelets, blueberry or apple muffins.

Also I make mini quiches with bacon, tomato, capsicum etc

Salmon/tuna patties with corn, peas etc in them.

I make big batches and freeze them so that I never run out

Thanks
    Reviews

Also you should check out 'veggie smugglers', they have lots of ideas on sneaking fruit and veg into things.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    What does she add for breakfast? Could you add some pureed apples into her weetbix or porridge?

We make banana muffins with wholemeal flour, egg, oil, honey and bananas to make them as healthy as possible.

I've just made a batch of cheese bikkies my kids love them and they are so simple and good for them.

My kids love when I make them a hot lunch like Tuna mornay, fried rice, tuna and cheese toasted sandwiches, a tasting plate with cucumber, cheese, olives, capsicum, olives, ham etc or whatever I have in the fridge.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My 19mth old and 3yr old just live of 'taste plates'. Just a whole heap of stuff all in bite size pieces on a plate. They love the surprise and variety each time

My 19 month old has the following (she has egg and wheat allergies)
    Just some ideas

Breakfast,
    Toast with avocado, or rice porridge with stewed, pureed fruit. Sometimes a gluten free cereal if we have it like maple crunches (high in sugar though so only a sometimes food!)
    Morning tea,
    Usually corn cruskits with hommous, tuna dip, vegie spread (like vegemite) cow cheese (cream cheese in triangles), chopped up fruit and chopped up cheese.
    Lunch,
    corn thins or sandwich with tomato, avocado, grated carrot, tuna, chicken. Or pasta with a sauce.
    taste plate with chopped up veggies like cucumber, capsicum, peas, corn and something to dip. Greek yoghurt with lemon, garlic or egg free mayonnaise
    Afternnon tea,
    fruit, gluten free biscuit (homemade anzacs or similar)
    Dinner,
    Pasta, casserole, rice, mini salad, patties, steamed veggies, chopped up meat, soup with bread, ANYTHING we're having. She's such an awesome eater.
    Yoghurt or rice pudding

Try blending fruit into yoghurt or cutting it up differently or even pureeing it to get her use to the taste

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Firstly try and eat better yourself as she will grow up watching what you eat! 16 months is that critical toddler age where what you do and feed her could set her entire eating habits up for life!
    Do you eat fruit? And if you do try eat it with her or let her share yours! What fruit have you tried her on? I have not met a baby that didn't like watermelon!
    Try a huge variety : kiwi fruit, pineapple, grapes, strawberries, blueberries, rock melon, passionfruit, oranges and soon cherries , peaches etc
    The easiest way to get fruit into a fussy eater is a smoothie - try blend A2 milk with some strawberries, banana and a kiwi fruit!
    Or try if she likes yogurt get some jalna vanilla yogurt and dip the fruit in it or as pp have said add banana to pancakes, muffins etc

Snacks: rice cakes with nut butters or avocado or cheese, carrot/cucumber sticks with dip, muffins, boiled eggs, yogurt , homemade or organic muesli bars , mini baby bell cheese or feta cheese cubes

Lunches and dinners : try and feed her finger food meals , fish cakes, crumbed chicken strips , meatballs, falafel, frittata, lamb cutlets, pasta ( messy but fun!) and a variety of veggies either steamed or baked or even raw ( raw peas, beans, carrots, capsicum, tomato, cucumber)

I have always had a bowl of fruit on the table and we eat fruit salad every day, now at 22 months DS has his own fruit bowl on his table so at any time of the day he can help himself plus we have always had either a bowl of salad or veggies with dinner so to him it's quite normal

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS eats anything...

some of his favorites are Frozen peas (dont ask) but its a ritual, if we have peas, he carries the container to the freezer, and back to the kitchen, and eats them while we walk.

Have u tried savory muffins? I just adapted a recipie of ours to make it healthier for him, and they were a hit.

1 Egg (beaten
    1 Cup Milk
    1 Cup SR Flour
    1 Cup Grated Cheese
    -------Ours also have 1 cup onion and 1 cup bacon diced up.
    For DS, i chop up some ham from the deli, then add vegies to it...Capsicum, Carrot, Zuchinni, Pumpkin, peas, corn, sweet potato, broccoli (His favorite veggie at the moment!)

Mix it all together in a bowl, then spoon into muffin tray and baked until brown ontop at about 180c... Takes about 10-15mins

He Loves fried rice, risotto and pasta, any finger foods...I also bake our own chips (Just peel and slice a potato, place on an oven tray thats either sprayed with spray or on baking paper) and cook till browned and soft inside....What kid doesnt love chips?! I also do it with Carrot, Pumpkin and Sweet potato for variety.

He follows me to the fridge EVERY time, and was grabbing things off the bottom shelves, some were inappropriate, so i re-organised it so his healthy snacks like yoghurt and fruit and cheese pieces are there, now when i get something he can help himself to something too

Casseroles and stews are winners here too.
    Have u tried an omlette?

He also loves his "dip dip"... which is any suitable dipping option in a small snack bowl with whatever he is eating... Cream cheese for crackers, Gravy or white sauce with dinner..etc.

For dinner meals, i was always wondering what to do so i done a basic menu that we repeat every 2 weeks.... Not exactally, but something like

WK 1 -
    Monday - Casserole and Veg
    Tuesday - Something simple
    Wednesday - Meat n Veg
    Thursday - Quiche-----I Also do Vegie slice instead sometimes
    Friday - Meat n Veg
    Saturday - Fried (or plain) Rice + Stir fry
    Sunday - Roast

Its also helped motivate me to Cook healthy meals because i know what to do ahead of time, and helps with the shopping and budget as its all planned. Sometimes i change it up, but its good to have it to fall back on.
    Last edited by shadowangel0205; 17-09-2012 at 00:01.