+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Interstate moving tips

Hi everyone

My DH has just accepted a job on the Gold Coast so we will be moving from Melbourne in Dec.

I have been busy getting quotes from movers, truck rentals, backloaders etc to find the best option for us.

Does any one have any tips about moving interstate, what worked & what didn't. What was easiest for them?
    Cheaper options?

Etc…

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi

I did the Interstate move last year from Newcastle to Melbourne. The cheapest option that I found was hiring a 20ft shipping container and sending via Pacific National (Rail). Shipping Container hire is really cheap and you can lock the container so no one has access. From memory it cost just under $2K and that was hiring the container for approx. 6 weeks. I found removalist or hiring a truck was going to cost $4K+.

Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks for that. How do i go about organising sending it via Pacific National?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by tired*mummy View Post
    Thanks for that. How do i go about organising sending it via Pacific National?
    I contacted their Sydney office, it took me a while to get the right person. This is the number we contacted once the shipping container had arrived in Melbourne 03 9371 5260, they should be able to help. I found them really easy to deal with. If you tell them when you want the shipping container to arrive in QLD they will let you know when they need to receive it. From memory the rail part of our trip was only $400-$500.