Coeliac disease support thread | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Coeliac disease support thread

I thought it would be good to start a thread to gain support for those of us with kids with coeliac disease or coeliac ourselves. I was hoping to gain a greater understanding about coeliac disease, how to manage it on a day to day basis, how to go out for dinner or travel and some recipe/meal ideas.
    A bit about me - my 19 month old DD was diagnosed with coeliac disease today after a long battle of sickness since she was 3 months old. Initially she was diagnosed with lactose intolerance, then fructose intolerance and now finally coeliac disease. I am hoping that the sugar intolerances will go once her bowel heals with a gluten free diet.

Firstly - Does anyone make their own bread? Any good recipe? I am horrified at the cost if gluten free bread and am keen to make my own.

What do you do when you go out for dinner? Kids meals are gluten heavy - chicken nuggets, pasta, battered fish... What do you do?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I look up gluten free friendly places, we have a great cafe here that has a coeliac menu - yayayyy!!!

I make this bread. It tastes a bit like irish soda bread (yum) but it isn't a great sandwhich bread, more like a soup and bread kind of bread, hot out of the oven, slather of butter. Yum.
    http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/2052...uckwheat+bread

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Coeliac disease support thread

Best thing I ever did was join the coeliac society. They are a great help. They hve booklets with what ingredients and additives to look out for and also have a listing of some of the restaurants in ur state that advertise their gf helpfulness.

I was diagnosed a year and a half ago and it's getting easier and easier. I don't make my own bread but have successfully converted bickie recipes over just by swapping the flour.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMouse84 View Post
    Best thing I ever did was join the coeliac society. They are a great help. They hve booklets with what ingredients and additives to look out for and also have a listing of some of the restaurants in ur state that advertise their gf helpfulness.

I was diagnosed a year and a half ago and it's getting easier and easier. I don't make my own bread but have successfully converted bickie recipes over just by swapping the flour.

Thanks for that. I joined the coeliac society today. Got lots of information and a recipe book that should help. I have been on a gluten free shopping spree too - bought lots of gluten free products for DD to eat and made my first loaf of bread tonight. I made the basco bread mix - tastes like 'normal' bread but the texture is a bit different. It is soft enough to make a sandwich though which is what I was after.

How do you find eating out? Do you usually find something to choose at a restaurant, especially if you don't get to choose the place like for a birthday dinner or something?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Hello I was originally gluten free by choice because my nutrients was so low eg iron etc when I saw a naturopath. I recently had a blood test for glandular fever and my coeliac test came back positive or high! I can't have the endoscopy because I'm pregnant. I joined the coeliac society today too and I am really struggling with cravings & just food in general!! Planning is really the key but with being so sick and tired it's been hard.

I would love to know if my baby would have it Can I ask if it's in formular? Do u know?

Great to see this thread, also when out you just have to ask things like is the oil separate to GF (I mean if deep frying) things like this. I have found numerous places do gluten free options!!

Take care, mon

Thanks
    Reviews

Hi! Thought I'd let you no that grocery run has gf food special on at the moment . I've been coeliac for 16 years! If I can help at all just yell! I haven't found a good bake at home bread recipe to date!!!

Thanks
    Reviews

Generally most places nowadays have at least one option to choose from but you may be surprised. Always ask if it's not on their menu as 80% of places that don't advertise on their menu will still have options like fritattas etc.

For a good sandwich bread (even though it's expensive it could be a treat) Country Life's new recipe is quite good!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    You are in the same tricky position I found myself in a couple of years ago.

Firstly, if you go gluten free now just prepare yourself that you may never get an official diagnosis. A blood test is not enough for a diag - only the endoscopy and positive biopsies. I myself chose to go gluten free with the intention of later on doing a gluten challenge (where you eat gluten for 3 months and then have an endo). Boy way that not going to happen. The next time I ate gluten I had such a severe reaction I ended up in hospital. So - I will most likely never get a diagnosis, and it does annoy me to be honest.

Although - there are studies that have been done that show a higher m/c rate and sill born rate in babies whose mothers are undiagnosed coeliac.

The other thing is - you can't control if you child gets it or not, they would have have the genes (usually - but sometimes you can get it without the main ones) and have a trigger to set it off can be something as simple as a virus. I know a set of ID twins (same DNA) and one has it and the other doesn't. THere are studies coming out saying that you have less of a chance of getting it if you are breastfed. But that is not 100% protection - I was bf for a year and still have it - as was my mother and she still has it too.

I know that S26 is gluten free because I rang them, and I am fairly sure they all are - but ring the companies just to make sure.

CookingMonster - the Coeliac society has "partners" that offer a discount and know about GF if you dine with them. They also have a section on their website where Coeliac society members rate their personal experience eating out.

Quote Originally Posted by monnie24 View Post
    Hello I was originally gluten free by choice because my nutrients was so low eg iron etc when I saw a naturopath. I recently had a blood test for glandular fever and my coeliac test came back positive or high! I can't have the endoscopy because I'm pregnant. I joined the coeliac society today too and I am really struggling with cravings & just food in general!! Planning is really the key but with being so sick and tired it's been hard.

I would love to know if my baby would have it Can I ask if it's in formular? Do u know?

Great to see this thread, also when out you just have to ask things like is the oil separate to GF (I mean if deep frying) things like this. I have found numerous places do gluten free options!!

Take care, mon

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMouse84 View Post

For a good sandwich bread (even though it's expensive it could be a treat) Country Life's new recipe is quite good!

I'll say - It is SOO much better than the old one. I couldn't eat the old one at all but the new one I am going through at a rate of knots! haha!

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    I'll say - It is SOO much better than the old one. I couldn't eat the old one at all but the new one I am going through at a rate of knots! haha!
    I too hated the old recipe but I went through half a loaf in one lunch sitting the other day of the new stuff. Love it!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MickeyMouse84 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (14-09-2012)