+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Pregnant with a toddler: managed just fine, the times I felt tired we just chilled. I also worked full time up to the last weeks. I had a comfortable easy pregnancy.

Newborn with a toddler: 3 yr gap made it easier. I didn't have 2 in nappies, 2 on milk, ds1 was self sufficient being able to help himself to the fridge , change himself, feed himself and was completely toilet trained and he would quite happily play on his own. Ds1 was also a good sleeper so that made it easier too. The only thing was that the first 6 weeks of having a new brother, he played up a lot, perhaps a jealousy thing but it was short lived and all good thereafter.

I seriously found having a second child not much different than having the one. We are lucky our boys have been relatively easy.

I do have a Dh who is very helpful, supportive and hands on to.
    Last edited by Blessedwith3boys; 12-09-2012 at 13:10.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I coped fine with being pregnant and having a toddler.
    Mostly it was fine having a newborn and a toddler, though I did find it quite emotional when DD1 didn't really understand that she had to share me now. Its why I gave up breastfeeding, because I felt so guilty not being able to do anything for DD1 because I was constantly stuck on the couch with a constant feeder. That was really my only issue.

Bonkers is offline wishes she was a glow worm. A glow worm's never glum, 'cos how can you be grumpy when the sun shines out of your bum?
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How did you cope....

With my first 2 it was easy I have no idea how I'm going to go now my dd is evil lol and my DS is no longer a angle like when his sister was born I think I'll have no hair left due to pulling it out after this one. I guess tho we just have to try. It will be possible it has to be otherwise people would only have 1 baby! I hope you will be ok!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DH will be home for 4-5 weeks after bub's is born as he's on holidays then and he's very hands on. There will be a 22 month gap between them. DD is very demanding and i think going thru a growth spurt + teething stage atm so being unusually difficult. This is what got me thinking what have i got myself into once #2 is here!!
    Did anyone find the sling/baby carrier helpful?
    I will try and work around DD's nap time and bed time and sync them together as DD has a 3hr sleep during the day and is asleep for the night by 7pm. But isnt that easier said then done? lol
    Im just trying to prepare myself for the worst and if it all magically falls into place sooner and easier than i thought then im a winner

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonkers View Post
    With my first 2 it was easy I have no idea how I'm going to go now my dd is evil lol and my DS is no longer a angle like when his sister was born I think I'll have no hair left due to pulling it out after this one. I guess tho we just have to try. It will be possible it has to be otherwise people would only have 1 baby! I hope you will be ok!
    awwww. I hope you will be ok too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default How did you cope....

Hey - I have a 22mth age gap. My pregnancy was easy so I didn't have too many issues. But I made sure that we had an activity out of the house every morning and afternoon even if it was a walk to amuse my toddler.

With a newborn around I still try to have an activity but it's usually a walk every morning and another walk to a park late afternoon. Each day I do different stuff at home for when I'm cooking for dd1. One day drawing, painting etc. I also read to dd1 whilst feeding dd2 - and she 'feeds' her baby.

I use dd2 morning nap to cook for the day usually use a slow cooker. My girls then nap together around midday and I use the first half to run around like a lunatic cleaning and the second to chill out.

After the girls wake we get dressed and go for a long afternoon walk ending at a park where dd1 plays/burns out energy. Dd2 usually sleeps either on the way there or there.

I use the carrier all the time. Dd2 has all her day sleeps in the pram/carrier/capsule so it's easy to resettle. I wake up earlier than the girls to do some chores. It was hectic in the beginning but it's been fairly easy since dd2 was 10wks old.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Hunkamunka  (12-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Pregnancy was fine with my pre-schooler - running around after her meant I put on half the weight I did with her! lol.... DS is 11 weeks old and it is taking a while to get used to how busy life is. I thought life was busy working fulltime with one child, but this is a whole new level of busy. I'm often left wondering what I used to do with my time, even with one child!

The most confronting thing was DD's reaction to me when I had DS. She loathed me. I was in tears more days than not, but week by week she got better and now we're the best of friends again. But that was really tough - we had been so close before that point and she would barely speak to me, would never let me touch her, play/read with her and would she physically lashed out at me. Tantrums escalated, she started waking at night for hours and regressed in the toileting department. There were also a few assassination attempts on DS that we had to contend with, but that has also passed and she just loves him.

So 3 months in and DS sleeps most of the morning, so it gives me some time to do some chores then it is DD time. We have lunch when DS wakes up and we all spend some time together, then they both go to bed at the same time and wake a few hours later (on the days the planets align, of course). That is purely my time - the phone goes off and I either sleep, read, surf the internet or watch a DVD. Sometimes I do some exercise, but mostly not.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by biscotti View Post
    )
    - try to synchronize the afternoon sleep so that the toddler and the baby have a sleep at the same time. This is "you time" - have a sleep, read a book or magazine, watch a movie and resist the temptation to use this time to clean or tidy.

- reserve the mornings for any errands, the wheels tend to fall off in the afternoons.
    This!

I much made sure that my 2 slept at the same time and it worked really well. Of course this took a lil bit of time to get into routine but once I was there everything just fell into place.

It really wasnt that bad for me at all but DH helped a lot. DS2 had slient reflux and that was a complete nightmare but once we got that sorted it was all good!