+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How did you cope....

....while pregnant and having a toddler?
    THEN....
    How did you cope with a newborn AND a toddler?

I find that when you are expecting, no-one really want's to talk about anything negative and they don't really want to hear you complaining.
    So thought i'd ask on here, hoping for all out honesty....
    ..........................What am i really in for? Have you any tips?

Thanks
    Reviews

No experience on the newborn and toddlers yet (will in another 10-11 weeks!) but I'll admit I've been finding it difficult having two 3 year olds and being pregnant.
    Mostly because I'm too tired to keep up with them and I'm not as patient with them, I do feel bad for that.

Love them to bits but some days I just want to be left alone to sleep lol.
    I have a fantastic partner though who helps a lot.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsOhara For This Useful Post:

Hunkamunka  (11-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: How did you cope....

I didn't cope for the first six weeks, I was a sobbing wreck with a very short fuse. Some days are still a write off but each week it tends to get easier a tiny bit.

Me + DH
    DS 2
    DD
    :-)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cookiedough For This Useful Post:

Hunkamunka  (11-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have 20months between my 2 so i know how it feels very well lol. To start with i had morning sickness which was horrible so i used to carry a bucket when i had to change nappies and would vomit while doing it (i felt horrible doing that but she was only a baby 12months so it didn't bother her at all) I tried to make food for her while i was feeling the best so i would cut up her fruit for morning tea when i felt best (ie usually after throwing up) and lunch etc.

As for chasing her i didn't find it hard at all but i guess thats just me now i'm not even pregnant and get so tired chasing both of them.

and to be honest i didn't have trouble having a toddler and a newborn i find it harder now that they are 3 and a half and almost 2 lol they are both very tantrumy and it drives me nuts.

good luck with it all its really not too bad

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Tutu & Lulu For This Useful Post:

Hunkamunka  (11-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Truly it was ok. DS was 3 when I had DD and had long given up day naps. I have to admit he was in care 3 days a week so I guess it's not a true reflection of life but I found when I was home that I just had to include him as much as I could. I kept as much of DD's stuff down low so that he could reach and help me. I started including him in things like what to have for dinner (i'd have two things already decided and he could pick). I just tried to do little things so that he would feel like the bigger kid.

The thing I struggled with most was sleep. DS was a shocking sleeper so still a lot of hard work so between getting up to him and then getting up to DD it was pretty full on. I probably struggled to get him out of the house as much as I would have liked but made sure he got plenty of activities with grandparents and as many play days as I could cope with to make sure he got social interaction.

Whenever I could I also got DH to stay with DD (even if just an hour in between feeds) so I could spend some time with DS. I made sure their bedtimes were staggered so that I read him books at bedtime and it not always be about DD.

Good luck but truly it does work out somehow and things slowly fall in to place to get the right balance. Like PP I'm struggling more now that they are 6 and nearly 3, the non stop talking, tantrums, whinging and whining do my head in!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ICanDream For This Useful Post:

Hunkamunka  (11-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

When I had my first bub I was a wreck for the first 6-8 weeks, had a hard time adjusting.
    I found out I was pregnant when bub was 5 months. At around 20 weeks pregnant with my second I was sooo exhausted all the time, I didn't have the energy to cook and clean the house etc. After I gave birth I felt soo much better, my energy came back and although I had a toddler and a newborn I actually felt better than I did with just one and being pregnant. Things were alot easier second time round, I was more relaxed with feeding/routines etc and generally just felt happier than I did when I only had the one newborn, if that makes sense!
    But this was just my experience! Now my second is 6 months and although he doesn't sleep well during the night, my eldest sleeps through and we have a good routine during the day.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to boodles345 For This Useful Post:

Hunkamunka  (11-09-2012)

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    15 months between my two little ones

The best advice someone gave me was that "the days are long but the years are short".... And really that was very true. They are now nearly 5 and 6 and the best of friends.

- have a basket of "special toys" that only come out for the toddler when you are feeding the newborn (make them extra special and engaging but they must go away at the end of the feed)

- try to synchronize the afternoon sleep so that the toddler and the baby have a sleep at the same time. This is "you time" - have a sleep, read a book or magazine, watch a movie and resist the temptation to use this time to clean or tidy.

- reserve the mornings for any errands, the wheels tend to fall off in the afternoons.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-biscotti For This Useful Post:

Hunkamunka  (11-09-2012),littlepinkstars  (11-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by biscotti View Post
    15 months between my two little ones

The best advice someone gave me was that "the days are long but the years are short".... And really that was very true. They are now nearly 5 and 6 and the best of friends.

- have a basket of "special toys" that only come out for the toddler when you are feeding the newborn (make them extra special and engaging but they must go away at the end of the feed)

- try to synchronize the afternoon sleep so that the toddler and the baby have a sleep at the same time. This is "you time" - have a sleep, read a book or magazine, watch a movie and resist the temptation to use this time to clean or tidy.

- reserve the mornings for any errands, the wheels tend to fall off in the afternoons.
    ..This is great advice, thankyou. Could i ask the sorts of "special toys" you used for feeds? Should i go out and buy some new things to play with?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm 15 weeks and have a 2yo.... I tried just doing the "normal" stuff, taking him out, to the park, etc, but I'm just finding already that the walking around just tires me out.

So now it's more home-time... painting, etc. And I make sure when he's down for a sleep at lunchtime, so am I!!! Whether I sleep or not - at least just lying down is enough for me. It's those days when he doesn't sleep, they're just so hard!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnyskies View Post
    I'm 15 weeks and have a 2yo.... I tried just doing the "normal" stuff, taking him out, to the park, etc, but I'm just finding already that the walking around just tires me out.

So now it's more home-time... painting, etc. And I make sure when he's down for a sleep at lunchtime, so am I!!! Whether I sleep or not - at least just lying down is enough for me. It's those days when he doesn't sleep, they're just so hard!
    ...Totally agree with the sleep when bub's does lol. Ive only just started to slow down and really feel pregnant now at almost 25 weeks. I think we will be having alot more home days from now too!