+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Getting a rental. Advice please!!!

So ds, me, and exsil, her husband and their son are looking for a rental.
    I'm a single mum, on a pension and have never had a real lease. Always stayed with friends and family, They have a rental history. We have found the perfect home for our families and we really really want to give ourselves the best chance!!

Any advice on how to better our chances? Also what's the % of your income you should spend on rent?

Thanks
    Reviews

I'm renting my first place this year (was under a private lease before) and moved in with four others (all friends...plus one other...) where only two of the others had rental history. We all got accepted and pay $120 a week but I think we got VERY lucky with that.
    I dont know what you could do to improve your chances but with the others having a rental history should give you a good chance. If youve had a private rent arrangement it counts as history too
    Not sure about the rent... I'd just work it out for what you can afford + average bills + groceries and stuff.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to backgroundnoise For This Useful Post:

daysta112  (11-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

I think they say 30%, but I think that's too much of it can be avoided!

If I were you I'd work your finances backwards. Start with what you realistically spend a week on absolutely everything, then what's left can be used on rent!

Just get your previous landlord to write up an excel doc with what rent was paid on what dates for at least six months, have them sign it and have them write a letter signing your praise and make sure you don't miss a single document they'd requested and then that's your best chance!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Peaze For This Useful Post:

daysta112  (11-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I think because you are applying with others who already have rental history, you will be fine.
    Could you get references from the people you have stayed with? Just saying that you contributed 'x' amount towards rent and utilities, keep the place clean and tidy, etc..
    Real estates have their 1/3 rule. Rent should be no more then 1/3rds of your income. Although if they actually followed this all of the time a lot more people would be homeless.

Thanks
    Reviews

My share will be $230 a week, I pay 250 now and can manage it.
    My mum has a different surname to me do I tell them she's my mum or say nothing?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Make sure you have good references - not personal references though. They need to be professional or rental references, even if the rental are references from where you may have boarded.
    Provide all the documentation they require, photocopies if necessary of drivers licence etc - don't let them have any unanswered questions.
    Also, know your rights and responsibilities with a shared lease.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by daysta112 View Post
    My share will be $230 a week, I pay 250 now and can manage it.
    My mum has a different surname to me do I tell them she's my mum or say nothing?
    Is your mum your reference?

Thanks
    Reviews

Yes, my grandma doesn't speak English

Thanks
    Reviews

You could always put your Mum down and say you rented privately through her.
    Also if you are able to financially maybe offer an extra week or two rent in advance to improve your chances even more.
    I'm sure if your SIL has good references you should be fine.
    Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsOhara View Post
    You could always put your Mum down and say you rented privately through her.
    Also if you are able to financially maybe offer an extra week or two rent in advance to improve your chances even more.
    I'm sure if your SIL has good references you should be fine.
    Good luck!
    I'd be honest about it being your mum and doing this. Also make sure you have a full months rent and bond ready to go. Good luck!