+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Is Bottled Water OK?

We are going camping with 6.5month old DD - we have been a few times with her and I have always boiled water bottled water we take to give her in her bottles (as she is FF).

Is it ok to give her bottled water, instead of cooled boiled water in her bottles and her in water bottle to drink (she has been on solids since 4.5months)...?

Thanks
    Reviews

If you want sterile water, there is one brand of 'bottled water', which u actually buy in a cask, but other than that, my knowledge is that bottled water is not sterile, (so if you want the same qualities as boiled water, bottled water won't cut it).

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jaandaw For This Useful Post:

French Pear  (11-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I would boil the bottled water for her bottles and just use the bottled water for her drinking water.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to babylove81 For This Useful Post:

French Pear  (11-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

That said, at 6.5 months u can give tap water can't you? I thought it was just under 6 months you should give boiled water?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jaandaw For This Useful Post:

halloweendee  (11-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by jaandaw View Post
    If you want sterile water, there is one brand of 'bottled water', which u actually buy in a cask, but other than that, my knowledge is that bottled water is not sterile, (so if you want the same qualities as boiled water, bottled water won't cut it).
    I think I may have brought that bottled water, it says its the only one that is completly natural but I'm still hesitant on whether its cool or not too use.

Quote Originally Posted by jaandaw View Post
    That said, at 6.5 months u can give tap water can't you? I thought it was just under 6 months you should give boiled water?
    I'm still giving boiled water at the moment, I knew there was a time you stopped, but wasn't sure when that was, so I have just been going along with keeping the old routine of boiling water.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If you're camping use bottled water. I wouldn't bother boiling it if it's straight from the bottle. I'd use it rather than tap water from a camp site (which I would DEFINITELY boil). The problem with bottled water for kids is the lack of fluoride which is in most town water supplies to strengthen teeth, but that's not an issue for a short camping trip, just in the longer term for when you're at home you should use tap water. If you're on normal town water supply at home I would think that you wouldn't need to keep using cooled boiled water past 6 months - heck babies of that age eat all sorts of things off the floor!

Thanks
    Reviews

I gave DS bottled water from 6 months. He was breastfeed but once or twice I used bottled water to make formula before 6 months.

Thanks
    Reviews

I thought the problem with bottled water was more about how clean it is, not fluoride content.

Thanks
    Reviews
    bottled water is fine. it is already filtered and quite often they use reverse osmosis during the bottling process.
    http://www.bottledwater.org.au/scrip...62&PageId=6053
    you can actually buy baby teats that screw onto the tops of water bottles, so you just pour out the water you don't need (to get the volume right), add the formula and screw on the lid.
    http://www.forbabyandup.com.au/green...e-cap-adapter/
    www.bubsngrubs.com.au/sunbury-sucker.html
    that way when baby is done you can just ditch the empty bottle and not have to worry about sterilising. just wash the teat

Thanks
    Reviews

The water chemist in me says that bottled water wouldn't be too bad but boiled water is better.
    Some bottled waters do have fluoride, so make sure you get one that doesn't.
    Also bottled water, unlike tap water, can be quite high in sodium and sulphate so check the values out before you buy.
    Ideally you want less than 200mg/L sodium and less than 250mg/L sulphate.
    Also, bottled water isn't sterile so it's quite possible it will still need to be boiled.