+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Much-loathed SIL is doing our rental inspection... do I stay or go for it?

Agree with stay and third party

She would totally snoop - sounds like she would try use anything to discredit you

Can your DP have a quiet chat to his Dad about a private arrangement and the ILs are welcome to inspect periodically if they wish

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    Stay and have a 3rd party there too.
    This absolutely! Then you have a witness if need be and its not just your word against hers.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    You know what, i'd stay, and i'd make her feel damn uncomfortable too!

I'd make sure I was confident and giving off somewhat of a 'i'm better than you' vibe

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Lillynix For This Useful Post:

labellavita  (12-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Much-loathed SIL is doing our rental inspection... do I stay or go for it?

Have you best most confident friend over for coffee so she feels outnumbered and you will feel more comfortable and be as NICE as pie I'm a PM, the onus is on her to act professionally at all times

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokeybear View Post
    Have you best most confident friend over for coffee so she feels outnumbered and you will feel more comfortable and be as NICE as pie I'm a PM, the onus is on her to act professionally at all times
    This

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Jakois View Post
    I would ask for another agent as well. Surely it would be a conflict of interest!
    This is exactly what I was going to say!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mokeybear View Post
    Agree too! Definitely do not request another agent as it will make things worse and SIL will get grilled by the agency ( no such thing as conflict of interest in regards to this as far as real estate is concerned)
    I would also assume SIL requested her dad to go through an agent so it's all done properly and to be honest I agree, at least if anything did go wrong you at least have the security of a third party ( even if it's her , the office is still responsible and has to abide by the law)
    And as it is with an agent they by law have to do regular inspections

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with the idea of a 3rd party there too - she will have to behave with someone else there too.

I do think that you need to get out of the house though. Relationships in the family sound horridly strained and the house (good deal or not) is going to make things worse by a long shot. This type of confrontation wouldn't be remotely happening if you weren't living in a house owned by your FIL (or rented out by your SIL's real estate agency). You said you want to move out, maybe if your SIL kicks up a fuss it will make your dh see that moving would be a good idea sooner rather than later. The last thing you want is a bad rental record made by this woman.

Thanks
    Reviews

Maybe ask FIL to be there for the inspection lol that'll shock her!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think you should have a bubhub party that day
    or you could just videotape her

At the very least could your partner be present too?