+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Can your 7YO manage his fork and knife well?

Hi all,

My DS is 7 and I am just wondering how many of your children around this age can use the fork and knife without any problem. I have no idea at all if he should be good. Obviously I am asking this cos he is quite bad with them. We usually end up cutting his food for him and he would just use a fork to eat the pieces. We are fine doing that but just curious if that is the norm.

DS can hold his pencil and write very well no problem with that. When he was about 4, his kinder teacher commented to me that she was shocked he could not even use a butter knife to butter his bread. I was of course a bit shocked she said that, but she was one of those rather critical teachers.

Thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Can your 7YO manage his fork and knife well?

My ds is 6 and my dd is 9 and they're both the same.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Can your 7YO manage his fork and knife well?

Lol I still forget how to use it sometimes.
    Try him using the knife and fork in the other hand, I hold my knife in my left hand and can use it like hat but just can't use it in my right hand (and I'm right handed :/ haha )

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm 37 and will get someone else to cut my meat

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    he does well...when he wants to lol

I often make him practice with stuff like pancakes (nice and soft and he is very motivated hehe).

Just make sure he uses them as often as possible so he develops good habits. I will sometimes cut DS's stuff for him if we are in a hurry but "normally" he can now do it all himself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS is 8 in march and has only just now started to be able to use the knife, although its still awkward for him to do. He cant butter bread properly either! Drives me crazy! haha

I think its normal!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My 7 year old does it well, my 2.5 year old is learning now too.
    If you keep cutting it for him, he will never learn..

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD is 8 and still a little awkward with the knife- I do tend to cut things for her if we are in a hurry. Which probably does not help
    when we went out for dinner last time I saw an 18mth old using a fork and knife way better then DD- but I think was a phenomenon lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD, 8, has only recently been able to cut up all her food herself. At 7 she could manage sausages with effort, but not steak, or buttering bread, despite lots of encouragement.

I'm pleased to see from pp that this seems pretty normal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    For all our girls we used the cutlery sets that have the moulded plastic handle with finger holds so they can get their hands in the right position. I think they may have been Tommee Tippee brand, it makes it much easier for them to learn how to hold a knife and fork properly. You can get them from target and kmart and I think I've seen them in coles too.

DD2 is now 8 and and uses a knife and fork really well, occasionally for some meat she needs help but mostly she cuts her own food well. She is using kids cutlery, not the ones with the molded handles, just metal cutlery that is smaller than ours. This size is much easier for her to manage.

DD3 is using the plastic handled cutlery and just starting to cut her own meat, although mostly we still cut it up for her but leave her vege a bit bigger so she has to cut them up herself.

We don't allow the kids to use their fingers when we are sitting up together at the dinner table, they have to use their knife and fork.