+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Tell me about Redlands Public Hospital

Hi all,

I'm pregnant with my 3rd bubba

I had my first 2 at the Redlands Mater Private hospital, and whilst both were a fairly good experience, I had very very easy pregnancies and births, and I feel silly spending so much money when I really don't require obstetrician care.. plus, my OB didn't even make it to my daughters birth, so I paid a fortune for a midwife to deliver my baby anyway!

I really REALLY wanted to birth in a birth centre, but the only ones are at the Royal or at the Gold Coast, and I am well and truly out of the catchment area for both of these, so that leaves me with Redlands public.

Would love to hear your experiences with this hospital. Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Anyone anyone?

I'm keen to hear about midwifery groups, shared care, antenatal clinics... all that stuff. I've never gone public and am not sure of the options.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi

I had my DD at Redlands Mater and my DS at Redlands Hospital. The Redlands is ok, they seem to have more to offer while you are in labour than the Mater - A birthing ball, for instance, and you don't have to give birth on the bed like you do at the Mater. The room was nice and they didn't turf me out the next day like people kept warning me they would (I was on for three days I think).

I found the service to be less personal than at the Mater. I saw the midwives at the widwifery clinic for my appointments, they were ok but very rushed. I was very stressed at one point because I was on antidepressants that are known to cause breathing difficulties in newborns after birth, I kept trying to get some reassurance from the midwives, (who told me that was out of their scope of practice) finally broke down crying to a medical student who was assessing me during one of my appointments(no idea why she was doing it rather than a midwife/obstetrician, but anyway) and she tried to get one of the obstetricians to see me, but came back with the message "if he stops breathing after you take him home, just bring him back".

Very helpful.

Also DS was diagnosed with possible hydronephrosis at the 18 week scan and noone would explain to me what that meant. It was very frustrating.

Oh! And nearly forgot - I was having heart palpitations and mentioned it at my appointment as I was worried about it having an effect on bub. They explained to me that sometimes pregnancy can cause extra blood to circulate and heart palpitations are a side effect of this (or something like that). They said to be on the safe side though, they'd refer me to the PA hospital to make sure it wasn't a problem. Which they did. My appointment was booked for september - 3 months after I'd had bub. Wasn't impressed, and neither were the people at the PA when I explained it to them.

I'm not sure if I'd go there again. It was ok, and much cheaper, but I found the staff's lack of time and effort to explain things about MY body and MY baby very frustrating. Good luck with your decision and do what's best for you and your bub

Thanks
    Reviews
    oooh thankyou very much for this info!! So there is a midwifery group practice then? Where abouts is it? Is it at the hospital?

Sorry to hear they didn't seem equipped to deal with your concerns!

Thanks
    Reviews

I had my DD at Redlands public almost 5 months ago, I did shared care with my GP. Because I was low risk, until the end, I only had a couple of appointments. I had all of my appointments with an OB and found all of my concerns taken seriously. Unfortunately due to the size of my DD I ended up having an elective c section, they were quite happy to allow me to try for a natural birth, they just explained all of the risks for both. So when I made my decision i was fully informed. I found the midwifes fantastic during my visits, c section and my stay, I stayed for 4 days and was not pushed to leave. I liked the fact that you get your own room and just have to share a bathroom.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I've had 3 at Redlands. I think the antenatal clinic has been cut, so you have to do shared care for the most part. The care itself is good and low intervention though of course it always depends a bit on whos on shift on the day! Congratulation!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CazHazKidz View Post
    oooh thankyou very much for this info!! So there is a midwifery group practice then? Where abouts is it? Is it at the hospital?

Sorry to hear they didn't seem equipped to deal with your concerns!
    Yes, the midwifery group is at the hospital. I think if you're low risk most of your appointments are with them and you see the obstetrician for one appointment after your 20 weeks scan so they can check everything.

jbish is offline “Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” Dr Seuss
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had my DD at Redlands 2.5 years ago. Did shared care with my GP which was great because I was able to do all my check ups without having to wait for ages at the hospital. I think from memory I saw the Midwives for about 3 appointments and at one appointment I saw the OB. All were very nice and pretty informative.

I did the antenatal class that went for a whole day and it was soooo boring, but at the end of it all i'm glad i did it.

Labour was fine, they allowed me to go as long as I liked without too much intervention, but I ended up needing my waters broken, oxytocin & one of those monitors they put inside you on the bubs head (sorry if tmi) my labour was very long so after 36 hours had a epidural and the midwives were very supportive as it was not what I wanted. My midwife specifically was amazing. She unfortunatley had a shift change at 12am which was just as I was about to start pushing so she missed out on that part - she came to check up on me the next day. Loved her.

Post care was pretty crappy, they must have been very busy the day I gave birth because no one came to see me until 11am and I hadn't even showered after the birth. I had the epi so didn't know if I could walk or not (being such a naive new mum) I ended up sitting in a gross pool of my own blood until a nurse finally came to help me.

They were very supportive with Breast Feeding but I found that different midwives had different advice, but I guess you get that everywhere.

I live near Logan Hospital and honestly, if I were to get pregnant again, i'd request the Mater but if I couldn't I'd go Logan, simply because I found that the drive to redlands while in labour wasn't worth the benefit LOL