+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default Bad etiquette?

I don't really think I can answer either way without more detail. Why do you dislike her? Does the couple know this? Is it simply not getting along or has she done something horrible? Etc.

If you just generally don't like her then I think it's very rude. If there's a specific reason as to why you don't like her, eg, she is hateful and nasty to you guys, tried to break you up, etc then I think it's more acceptable.

In previous relationships my partner was friends with people I didn't like or didn't like me and I'd have been fine to not be invited because we had made no secret of our dislike of each other... Though still weren't nasty. Neither of us wanted to be around the other so I was happy to receive no invite to events. It was expected.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

MsImpatient  (11-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'd invite someones partner - this is the person they're sharing their life with and it would more likely upset your DF's friend more than anything for his live in partner not to be invited.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Bad etiquette?

Quote Originally Posted by backgroundnoise View Post
    I would to keep the peace and if anything goes wrong then straight away make them leave. It's not their place to be rude and ruin your day if you're trying to be nice and bring them into your life.
    I don't believe she would make a scene infront of our families, well I would hope not lol. I think she probably wouldn't acknowledge either of us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am having this exact problem, cept the person is my sister. I hate her 'partner' my fiancee hates him my mum hates him my brother hates him. I dont want him at my wedding. I've given her the choice, she can come to my wedding with her children without him, or she can not come at all. it's MY day and im not having my entire family feel uncomfortable just because hes there.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to babybubbles For This Useful Post:

wannawannabe  (11-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsOhara View Post
    I don't believe she would make a scene infront of our families, well I would hope not lol. I think she probably wouldn't acknowledge either of us.
    Um in this case then it changes things for me - if there is that much of an issue then I would inform your DF's friend of you plans to not invite.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Bad etiquette?

Hell no I wouldn't invite her! It's your wedding, life is too short to waste it on people who treat you like rubbish. She'd probably come just to spite you.

Rude or not, I wouldn't invite someone I didn't like.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Bad etiquette?

I don't necessarily think its rude. It's YOUR wedding why would you invite someone out of obligation on your special day? Especially someone who is known for making a scene and bring rude. Why would want that extra worry?

DH and I were very cut throat with our guest list. We wanted a small intimate wedding and didn't compromise just because we were obligated to invite someone. It may have ruffled some feathers but we had an amazing day and don't have any regrets.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Bad etiquette?

Personally I think its rude. I was on a very tight budget for my wedding and never thought twice about inviting my good friends partner who I had never met. I just thought it was the right thing to do.

But at the end of the day it's your wedding and your big day so you are in charge! I would just be mindful that it could upset/offend/affect the relationship between you/your dh and your friend.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If the friend knows you actively avoid his GF, then I would have no issue with not inviting her.

But if you are polite to her in person, and she and the friend have no flippin idea that you are not keen on her, then you either need to make your feelings clear, or invite her.

Weddings are just so fun arn't they :P

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I used to think it's rude.
    Now I don't.

We had exactly the same situation. Ended up inviting both as we knew that the boyfriend wouldn't go if she wasn't invited. I found out afterwards that she was standing around outside smoking and ranting to everyone that would listen (and many who didn't want to) that she thought our wedding looked cheap and that SHE would have a better wedding!

She absolutely ruined the memory of the day for me. I know I shouldn't let it bother me but I was SO upset that she would stand around bagging us and our wedding to our guests that we actually wanted to be there, and who weren't invited simply out of courtesy.

If I had my time over, I'd tell her to go jump.