+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Beetle View Post
    i think differently. I've never understood why you have to automatically invite partners. If you aren't friends with them, then why should you have to pay for them to attend your wedding. But I don't really 'do' all this wedding etiquette, so I'm not the best person to comment.
    I do understand why it could be seen as rude but I also feel a bit like this.
    DH wanted to invite his childhood neighbour to our wedding (who I'd never met!) AND his girlfriend..? Meanwhile I was devastated that I didn't have the numbers to invite my mums best friends (because I had to invite either none or ALL!) who knew Dh and our journey and all that.
    I said he could just invite the neighbour but wasn't paying for some random chic I'd never met and would never see again! Weird!
    We didn't invite either of them in the end.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to faroutbrusselsprout For This Useful Post:

MrsOhara  (11-09-2012),wannawannabe  (11-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    If the friend is in a serious relationship I'd invite the girlfriend regardless of if you like her or not (if the feeling is mutual she probably won't even attend anyway).

But if it's not a serious relationship and they've only been together a short time I think it perfectly acceptable to invite just your friend not the GF.

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    yes, I would say bad ettiquette. Either invite both or neither, it is just not right to invite only one of a couple. If this is only a girlfriend, perhaps he will have dumped her before the wedding day. Unless you think she will cause a disruption to your wedding or something, it will be wrong to not invite her. marie

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Bad etiquette?

Thanks everyone!

I guess reading back it does sound quite rude. We just don't particularly want to be paying almost $100 for someone who causes public scenes towards us and degrades us but we obviously wouldn't want to damage the friendship and he definitely is DF's closest friend. They're de facto so yes I'd say in a serious relationship.

Any more opinions are welcome.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsOhara For This Useful Post:

wannawannabe  (11-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Bad etiquette?

I was in a similar situation and I ended up inviting that person for the sake of their partner. In the end I didn't even need to talk to them all day. I think in the name of peace it is best to do it.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Bad etiquette?

i think differently. I've never understood why you have to automatically invite partners. If you aren't friends with them, then why should you have to pay for them to attend your wedding. But I don't really 'do' all this wedding etiquette, so I'm not the best person to comment.
    Yep this. He can make the decision himself if he wants to attend without his partner.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Bad etiquette?

I would to keep the peace and if anything goes wrong then straight away make them leave. It's not their place to be rude and ruin your day if you're trying to be nice and bring them into your life.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I agree with this. Why should you pay $100 for someone you hate to be at your wedding?

I don't understand the whole inviting partners if you're not friends with them either. I have lots of friends from work that I would invite to my wedding, but have never met any of their partners, why would I invite them to my wedding?

Quote Originally Posted by MrsOhara View Post
    We just don't particularly want to be paying almost $100 for someone who causes public scenes towards us and degrades us but we obviously wouldn't want to damage the friendship and he definitely is DF's closest friend. They're de facto so yes I'd say in a serious relationship.

Any more opinions are welcome.
    Can just see this friend yelling out 'YES' when the minister asks if theres any objections to the wedding.

Assuming that DF's best friend knows that the three of you don't get along, can perhaps he have a chat with the friend before invitations are sent to let him know....

One of my friends didn't have her partner invited to her sisters wedding, because the sister and none of the family can't stand him because they hate how he treats my friend. She didn't have a problem with it, as she had always known how her family felt about her partner. She was more worried about how he was going to react when he found out, then him being excluded.
    Last edited by wannawannabe; 11-09-2012 at 14:27.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Bad etiquette?

If she knows you have a problem with her and it's a mutual understanding you have to avoid each other, I don't see what the problem is!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Curby For This Useful Post:

MsImpatient  (11-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: Bad etiquette?

No, I wouldn't invite them.