+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default risks of tonsillectomy.. your experience?

So naturally, as I am awaiting my kids names to come up on the list for tonsils and adenoid removal.. I am a nervous wreck. bloody google.
    I ended up looking into tonsillectomy etc and finding there are some serious potential risks.

I am a naturally anxious person and over thinking things really cant be avoided. I am at the point where I want to cancel the surgery..

I cant specifically find if any kids in australia have ever actually hemmoraged or worse from the procedure. Does anyone here know anything about this topic? Im hoping as we have a pretty good health care system that its fairly safe here.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: risks of tonsillectomy.. your experience?

My sister was 10 when she had hers out 3 years ago and was fine.
    I work at a few different schools - including a school in a hospital and never heard any bad stories.

All the best - it is a horrible feeling waiting for your childs surgery!

Sent from my LG-P920 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Default risks of tonsillectomy.. your experience?

I have certainly heard of kids hemorrhaging badly. But I haven't heard of any deaths.
    My advice is to keep your child in the hospital overnight rather than taking them home that day. Because after the first night the risk of bleeds is far less.
    Good luck, hundreds of kids have their tonsils out every day and most of them are perfectly fine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My four year old DD had hers done about a month ago. At the doctors advice I kept her on panadol for a few days - but apart from that she was fine. (just cranky to be missing kindy) She sat up in hospital and ate a sandwich and a freddo a few hours after the op.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I hate to say it but when I had mine out in 1987, I haemorraged so badly I had to have a blood transfusion. But my mum said they were prepared for that sort of thing & got the transfusion happening pretty quickly. I spent a week in hospital but despite dramas the op was worth it - until then, I'd been such a sickly, scrawny thing, so underweight kids used to call me 'Ethiopian' (the famine there was one of the big social issues of the time). Within weeks of the op, however, I started gaining weight & never got tonsilitis again. Tough decision for parents to make, though. I'm sure your LO will be fine & well cared for if you go ahead with it xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My DD had her tonsils and adenoids removed when she turned three. She had growth issues and basically stunted her growth as she had sleep aponea and wasnt sleeping properly. Hers were grade 3 which means they were HUGE. It is quite amazing that all of her issues ceased when she had them removed and started sleeping properly.

I didn't google anything, just asked the ENT all the questions necessary. Everything went fine and I stayed overnight in the hospital with her and no problems at all.

There are risks with every surgery and people usually write things online about hemmorage etc when they have problems, rather than when everything goes smoothly! Just ask the Dr all you need to know or you ill drive yourself crazy!

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Op I know how you feel. Dd (aged 2 and 1 week) had her tonsils and adenoids out and was completely fine. I was so worried as I heard a little boy aged 7 had a terrible time but only because of the anesthetic.

Things do happen, there is always risk to operations but they are rare. Just breath and before you know it it will all be over. Ok
    Hugs
    If you want to chat about it at all feel free to pm me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    She was 6. Nothing happened apart from her tonsils coming out. She threw up a tiny bit of ice-cream. lol. That's probably the worst that happened.

Oh, and she refused to swallow her saliva, so she was constantly spitting. I gave her a bucket. It was gross.

Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Winner 2010- Most Optimistic Poster Award
    Winner 2010- The Most Supportive Member Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    main risk is a tonsil bed bleed which almost always needs a blood trasfussion and sometimes they need to go back to theatre to get it fixed up, any surgery has risks i know tonsils bed bleeds are pretty common

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did 2 years of nursing with a day in surgery. I was in the ENT surgery for the morning before going to the Eye surgery room. I saw about 7 tonsils and adnoids, along with several grommets. The most common problem is something to do with the anaesthesia, however they are rare in themselves. In this day and age things go really smoothly, the children are asleep for maybe an hour, and the procedure only takes about 20 minutes. They sometimes cauterise when the child has bleeding problems. That day the only complication I saw was a young man not responding properly to the anaesthesia in the Eyes room. He was having Pteridgeons removed and "woke" just before they had properly started.

Just ask your ENT surgeon any questions you have. Don't believe everything you read. And there is always risk with any surgery, whether it be a simple mole removal or major heart surgery. Anything that requires any type of "drugs" is considered "dangerous" but the complications are extremely rare!!!

Any questions feel free to PM me.

Hugs to you and your LO

11. The Following User Says Thank You to smidget3004 For This Useful Post:

Bubmum  (19-09-2012)