Mater Mothers (Brisbane) Midwifery Group Practice - Questions | Page 3 | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    bumping this old thread to see if there are anymore stories about the MGP. Ive been accepted and would love to hear some more recent feedback

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Had my bub in April through the MGP!

Follow up care was great! I was home within 18 hours and loved having my middie visit us at home. She made sure breastfeeding was going well, did health checks etc and was available via phone/text if we had any questions. She was also good for referring me to other medical professionals when I needed them (like when my milk didn't come in, she got me to go to a chiro who did an adjustment and my milk came in that afternoon!).

One thing I wish I had known or been more aware of - my midwife was "off duty" when I went into labour. Obviously they need days off and she had told me this but I hadn't really thought much of the possibility of it happening, I was so comfortable with her and just assumed she would be there. Definitely get familiar with the other midwives in your group just in case. My original midwife did end up arriving right at the end of labour and delivered my DS but she wasn't there for the majority and I had another one who I didn't connect with at all because I just wasn't expecting to have someone else.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Justwant2beamummy For This Useful Post:

wigglepuss  (30-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Summary of my experience - I will definitely be asking to be referred to be part of the MGP again. Really like the model of care!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Justwant2beamummy For This Useful Post:

wigglepuss  (30-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm currently 32 weeks with my second MGP pregnancy, got the same midwife as last time. Check ups are in a group setting and are informative before you go for your private examination. As the previous poster said you don't always get your midwife on delivery day but are familiar with the other midwifes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bumping for any updates

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, I ended up with major bleeding
    Complications prior to delivery from 33 weeks. My MGP midwife met me at hospital the two times and had I had my Caesar that night she would have been there for it. I ended up admitted for 3 weeks then had a scheduled caesarean. My midwife still came and saw me prior to surgery. If I wasn't having a general she would have come. I then got the 6 weeks follow up care once discharged.

Due to Complications this pregnancy resulting in compulsory caesareans going forward I'm an evictee now but highly recommend the program for the amazing support you get.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just thought I should add my experience...

I found the mgp well-prepared me for labour, but not for what followed. While the education focused on breast-feeding, they are not lactation consultants, so should you have issues with attachment, or the baby not waking up to eat, you get very little support. Unfortunately, the hospital may treat MGP patients differently (maybe assume you 'know' what you are doing? Maybe I was extremely unlucky?), all I know is that the nurses barely spoke to me about the baby, and I was a first time mum! I got discharged after one day (being discharged ASAP seems to be encouraged by the MGP...) even though breastfeeding was failing (baby didn't wake up, was having to hand express for every feed).

I would suggest that for first-time mothers, don't leave hospital until you get BF established (if you are wanting to BF), even if it's encouraged by the MGP... because the level of home support from the MGP is not adequate for some BF complications...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by goshawk View Post
    Just thought I should add my experience...

I found the mgp well-prepared me for labour, but not for what followed. While the education focused on breast-feeding, they are not lactation consultants, so should you have issues with attachment, or the baby not waking up to eat, you get very little support. Unfortunately, the hospital may treat MGP patients differently (maybe assume you 'know' what you are doing? Maybe I was extremely unlucky?), all I know is that the nurses barely spoke to me about the baby, and I was a first time mum! I got discharged after one day (being discharged ASAP seems to be encouraged by the MGP...) even though breastfeeding was failing (baby didn't wake up, was having to hand express for every feed).

I would suggest that for first-time mothers, don't leave hospital until you get BF established (if you are wanting to BF), even if it's encouraged by the MGP... because the level of home support from the MGP is not adequate for some BF complications...
    That's very strange, I got so much support last time for breastfeeding - and everything really! I was discharged quickly too but found the home visits afterwards invaluable - one on one attention, she stayed for at least an hour and checked breastfeeding as well as everything else. I'm going in again this time as I much prefer to go home to my own house and have someone visit me there than stay in the noisy hospital - just my personal preference! I'm sorry you didn't have a good experience as far as follow up care goes, that's really disappointing .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah, I heard such great things from people who had used the mgp. I attended every clinic, and tried to memorize everything they said... but they never mentioned anything about dealing with sleepy babies, small babies and breastfeeding, or supplementing the baby with formula to assist breastfeeding (this is all relevant to my little bub, I realise!). I don't even remember them showing breastfeeding positions in the clinics...

The other thing is they don't mention how to formula feed (should you need to), which left me having to call Queensland health for support. I also had to hire a private lactation consultant, but it was a bit late by then... In theory, I totally agree with getting home as soon as possible, but in this case, just did not get the support I needed to establish breastfeeding. It really sucked, because the MGP just assumes everyone's breastfeeding will work out. This set me up for a huge disappointment (and I was really down about it for weeks). I think next time I will be going for shared care (at least, now I know how to supplement feed if I need to!).
    Last edited by goshawk; 26-11-2014 at 15:52.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've just started MGP and enjoying it so far. They have assured me that I won't go home until BF is established and everything is going well with bub. Fingers crossed.