Mater Mothers (Brisbane) Midwifery Group Practice - Questions | Page 2 | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Mater Mothers (Brisbane) Midwifery Group Practice - Questions

Quote Originally Posted by FemmeFatale View Post
    What lovely stories! Glad im doing the midwife program!

How long did everyone's first appointment with the midwife at their home go for?
    I'd like to know this too.

My hope (I'm not naive to think that I will all go to plan, but this is what I would prefer) is to have a spontaneous labour. I am having acupuncture throughout the pregnancy and hope that this will keep my muscles relaxed enough not to resist labour.

I'd like very little to no intervention during the labour and would like to labour in the bath/pool for as long as possible. I know they won't let you actually birth in there at the Mater but I like that they have them there to labour in.

I know I want to be active, I really don't like the idea of being made to lay on my back. I want to have flexibility and to be able to choose what position I decide to birth in.

I've been thinking about delayed cord clamping too, but still researching and thinking.

Thanks
    Reviews

I had my first middy appointment today, it was great. Karen was lovely and very good at answering all my questions. We went through and filled out a lot of paperwork, she also went through the dates of all my appointments with me. All up the whole thing lasted about half an hour.

Where are you located justwant2beamummy?

Thanks
    Reviews

Sounds good!

I'm in Drewvale, and my midwife lives in Greenbank. I'll be going to the Inala clinic for the group classes/checkups.

Thanks
    Reviews

I had DD (7 months) with the stones corner group of Mater MGP Kerry is my midwife. I have just booked in for number 2 in June next year. The meetings and check ups are informative and relaxed. It's great having someone on call 24/7 and knowing one of 4 women will be there when you have your baby. Highly recommend the program.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi ladies,

So glad I have found something re the Bne Mater Midwifery Group Practice!
    I was referred by my GP on the 3
    rd of Dec (at about 6w+4) and a couple of weeks later received a call from the hospital billing department to confirm costs (as I don’t have Medicare) saying that I would receive a call very shortly to confirm if I was accepted.
    It is now close to 3 good weeks after that call and have heard nothing – I will be 12 weeks on Monday and really would like to know where I stand!
    I left a voicemail yesterday and am hoping to hear back soon …
    For those of you in the programme, do you recall when they usually call you by – so as to have that initial chat with your midwife?
    I’m really hoping to be accepted in the programme so very eager to know and get started!

Any insight you would have would be awesome ladies – thanks so much

Thanks
    Reviews

I had my first call around 8 weeks and then at 12 weeks and a catch up at home with my midwife. Nothing then till 24 weeks other than text messages. Chase the hospital antenatal department to check you are accepted. They should be able to direct you to a specific person. It's a fantastic program.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaz2184 View Post
    I had my first call around 8 weeks and then at 12 weeks and a catch up at home with my midwife. Nothing then till 24 weeks other than text messages. Chase the hospital antenatal department to check you are accepted. They should be able to direct you to a specific person. It's a fantastic program.
    Thanks so much Shaz - I left a voicemail Wednesday (02/01) and will try again tomorrow if I don't hear today.
    Does that mean that there is no midwife appointments until 24th week? sounds a bit late no? that's over half way through the pregnancy...
    I believe there was a mention of an appointment with an OB at the hospital fairly early on as well as the home visit from the middie..
    ah well, I'll be patient..until tomorrow! and I'll chase again

Thanks again!

Thanks
    Reviews

Yes OB appointment around 15-16 weeks. It seems a long time but you see your GP at 12 weeks after your scan. Midwife around then. Then ob appt at 15-16 weeks then GP after your 18-20 week scan so you end up seeing someone every month. My 2nd pregnancy miscarried so I will be starting the process again when I fall preggers again. Can't fault the program in either outcome. All te best getting in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaz2184 View Post
    Yes OB appointment around 15-16 weeks. It seems a long time but you see your GP at 12 weeks after your scan. Midwife around then. Then ob appt at 15-16 weeks then GP after your 18-20 week scan so you end up seeing someone every month. My 2nd pregnancy miscarried so I will be starting the process again when I fall preggers again. Can't fault the program in either outcome. All te best getting in.
    Thanks for that am indeed seeing my GP on Monday (13 weeks) as have the u/s Friday..

However, I actually am having issues - as I don’t have Medicare it seems unlikely I can't get cover for the program as it is not at the hospital per se but an antenna (local clinic) – am guttered but fighting to see if I can do something about that.
    My 2nd option being the Hospital Midwife care instead (as is definitely covered by my insurance – really sucks not to have Medicare in times like these! As I had a spot in the programme otherwise…) – less personalised but closer to work (so more convenient than GP shared care)…we’ll see how it goes but not looking good
    My other option is the midwife at hospital instead - l
    ess personalised but seems I won’t have much of a choice anyways so will have to just live with it - extremely disappointed but that’s life I guess! and looks like this will be my care so better take it with a smile

So sorry to hear about your miscarriage – I hope you’re ok and that you’ll be well looked after in that difficult time…hope you fall pregnant soon again
    Last edited by LauraOz; 08-01-2013 at 12:15.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was in that program for both of my youngest girls.

I had Anne both times. She, and the group, were fantastic! So thankful I got in, and was very similar to the maternity system I went through in NZ with the older two, so was something I was familar with.

I have since moved out of the area, so am gutted that I can't do it again this time, off to research some Gold Coast options!