+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Mater Mothers (Brisbane) Midwifery Group Practice - Questions

Hi, I'm just looking to hear from anyone who has gone through the midwifery group practice at the Mater Mothers.

I'm so excited that I've just been accepted into the program and have my first appointment with my midwife (Anne Rasic). I'd just like to hear of people's experiences through this program.

How did you find your midwife?
    How did your DH like your midwife?
    What were the appointments like? - what do they do?

Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews

Bump

Thanks
    Reviews

Subbing as I would also like to know as I have my first appointment with my middy on Thursday.

Thanks
    Reviews

I have mine next Friday!

I got Anne Rasic

Thanks
    Reviews

From what I can gather, I have a home visit on Thursday, a doctors appointment next week then after that all my appointments will be at Corinda with a group of 8 other ladies for the antenatal appointment/classes.

Oh and my middy's name is Karen. Didn't quite catch her last name. Haha

Thanks
    Reviews

I went halfway through the programme as I ended up having a premmie!

My midwife came to my house for the initial appt and then just text me every week or so until my group classes started. I went to two group classes and it was all the standard info (what to eat etc, bras, looking after yourself) and we played "getting to know you" type games. Just generally shared info and had our check ups.

I had my midwife but also met the other three who are all up to date with you (on the chance your midwife is not on on the day you go into labour).

They always stressed to call them anytime with any concerns. I'm so glad I did.

I was feeling off at 28weeks, called my midwife and she said to come into the hospital just to check things over. I went in by 9am, and she stayed with me until 6pm! She left as she had her family and no one really knew if I would be having my baby that day. When the dr decided to do an emergency c-section at 10pm, one of the other midwives from the programme magically appeared in theatre! I was so grateful to see a familiar face. She helped organize my husband and then stayed with me for a bit afterwards as my husband went with our little girl.

I was in ICU for the next two days and my original midwife called morning and night. When I transferred back to the mothers hospital, she came to visit and then also dropped in a few times to the NICU where my DD was.

She has also text me afterwards just to check how things have been.

Honestly I can't fault the programme. I originally wanted to go to RBH but when I couldn't (I live 5mins from Mater), my dr put me into that programme. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews

That sounds fantastic!

Thanks
    Reviews

I had DD through that program. It was great, esp with the follow up at home you get after baby is born.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Great program, I went through the MGP with DD.
    I didn't end up getting the MW that was assigned to me but that was ok as the one I had was lovely, supportive and knew and respected my wishes for delayed cord clamping. I had a very bad PPH afterwards and she stayed with me and held my hand whilst I was rushed to theatre for a spinal and emergency procedure to stop the bleeding.

Even if you are through the MGP you still need to know what sort of birth you would like, particularly around intervention/inductions. I was a bit disappointed when I had said to my MW throughout the pregnancy that hell would have to freeze over before I would have another induction and as soon as I was getting close to 41 weeks she wanted to organise S&S and book me in for an induction but I told her no. She did all the post natal care though and was brilliant with bf advice and support. One of the best things she said was that my job was to feed baby and sleep and DF's job was to do everything else. Because of my PPH I shouldn't even be walking around with DD because there was a possibility I could faint.

Thanks
    Reviews

What lovely stories! Glad im doing the midwife program!

How long did everyone's first appointment with the midwife at their home go for?