+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default pre natal yoga

hi all.

just wondering if anyone does this and if they find any benefit to it at all? I'm not allowed to do any excessive exercise but would still like to participate in some activity.

I have a PT session tomorrow, so will ask, but would like personal experiences. I myself have never done it, but with my wedding 6 weeks after I deliver, I want some tone

Sent from my GT-I5503T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Default pre natal yoga

I did it with my first child, after being told it would help condition me for birth. Pfft! All it did during birth was make me feel guilty about having an epidural (so much for the 'natural' birth my CHILDLESS yoga instructor promoted...). BUT it was a really nice way to stretch & relax during pregnancy. I would've done it again with my second pregnancy for the latter reasons alone but didn't have time.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: pre natal yoga

great, thanks! did you find it toned you up a bit?

im not worried about it conditioning me for delivery, already have dd so kniw what to expect

Thanks
    Reviews

Default pre natal yoga

Hmm...probably not. But I was only doing it twice a week and it was pretty gentle stuff. Honestly, I'd do it - it's a nice thing to do

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I did pre natal yoga when I was pregnant with DD, and I'm sorry to say it did not help tone me up at all. Pre natal yoga probably focuses more on conecting with your baby on a 'spiritual' level and learning a bit of meditation.

I really enjoyed the class and found it relieved a lot of my late pregnancy aches and pains and just helped me get a good stretch out. My bub was breech and I had high blood pressure so there were quite a few poses that I was not able to do. All in all I highly recomend it, more for the relaxation and bonding purpose but I would say its definatly not a form of exercise

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default pre natal yoga

midwives and physio at my prenatal classes encouraged us to do Pilates over Yoga.
    No experience in either though

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did pregnancy pilates with my first bub, from 12 weeks to 35 weeks. I absolutely believe it helped my body and my labour. I'm back into it again now, at 16 weeks with my 2nd bub.

Not sure how it differs to yoga - but it involves strengthening your core, lengthening spine, bracing body and baby, and lots of pelvic floor work, using swiss ball, mat, etc. I don't think I toned up much the first time - it's more for pregnancy and less for a hard-core workout. All very safe, and held by a qualified lady with 3 kids - her youngest is 7 months.

Actually as an example - during our antenatal classes the midwife was checking all of our pelvic floor/tightenings across our tummies - and she looked at me and told me to stand up and demonstrate the way to do it correctly - because I'd done nearly 30 weeks of it at pilates. Definately helped!

If you're in Brisbane, PM me and I'll give you her details if you're keen.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnyskies View Post
    I did pregnancy pilates with my first bub, from 12 weeks to 35 weeks. I absolutely believe it helped my body and my labour. I'm back into it again now, at 16 weeks with my 2nd bub.

Not sure how it differs to yoga - but it involves strengthening your core, lengthening spine, bracing body and baby, and lots of pelvic floor work, using swiss ball, mat, etc. I don't think I toned up much the first time - it's more for pregnancy and less for a hard-core workout. All very safe, and held by a qualified lady with 3 kids - her youngest is 7 months.

Actually as an example - during our antenatal classes the midwife was checking all of our pelvic floor/tightenings across our tummies - and she looked at me and told me to stand up and demonstrate the way to do it correctly - because I'd done nearly 30 weeks of it at pilates. Definately helped!

If you're in Brisbane, PM me and I'll give you her details if you're keen.
    Damn, I'm in Melb unfortunately. But I think I may look into Pilates instead. I'd love to work on my spine and pelvic floor. I'm only 8 weeks, but already my back has been killing me from last delivery. Thank you so much!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default pre natal yoga

there's heaps of pregnancy pilates in Melbourne. I advised to go to those run by physio (check fit to deliver program).
    then you can claim back on your PHI

Where are you in Melb?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: pre natal yoga

I'm up near Keilor. Do you need to be particularly fit for Pilates?