+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BarefootedMumma is offline Aiming to be in the top 10 busiest users one week.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Some Random Home and Cleaning Questions

OK So I have a few questions that I have been going through my mind whilst planning my massive bedroom cleaning attack...

1 Can a 50/50 down /feather doona go in the dryer?

2 should a king doona & king Electric blanket fit in an 8kg washer together?

3 Doe anyone have a multi purpose steam cleaner? Are you happy with it? would you recommend it?

4 Do you think I could steam clean a memory foam/latex mattress?

5 Does anyone want a 5&1/2yo desexed male cat with territory issues? He's a cute ginger blonde who loves cuddles but doesn't like sharing with other cats.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I didnt think electric blankets could go in the wash at all.

As for doona's check their tags, they should say if they can be machine washed otherwise they should be dry cleaned

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can't even locate the tag. there is some frayed strands sticking out one corner I think might have been a tag in a previous life.

Most modern fitted Electric blankets are machine washable as they have detachable controllers. I have never owned one that wasn't.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I only buy machine washable electric blankets. we have a 7.5kg washing machine and the king doona and electric blanket fit in it (seperate loads) but we don't put very much laundry detergent in the load as otherwise it doesn't all get rinsed off properly since it is a bit of a tight fit,
    When we had a latex mattress we just used the vaccum cleaner on it and flipped it around every couple of months. we were told your mattress last a lot longer if you regularly rotate it.

Thanks
    Reviews

Oh and I wouldn't put the doona in the dryer. Pretty sure even doona that say machine washable say do not tumble dry.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our mattress is a No turn no flip. The cat has managed to wet opposite corners to a point I cannot get it out with any hand method. I have trouble sleeping cause the smell is strong when the bed warms up. I am going to bite the bullet and buy a small steam cleaner and hopefully get a good nights sleep.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Some Random Home and Cleaning Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Barefooted&Pregnant View Post
    Our mattress is a No turn no flip. The cat has managed to wet opposite corners to a point I cannot get it out with any hand method. I have trouble sleeping cause the smell is strong when the bed warms up. I am going to bite the bullet and buy a small steam cleaner and hopefully get a good nights sleep.
    The thing with cat urine (any urine really) on couches / mattresses etc is it is practically impossible to get out, cat pee is a nightmare because it stinks so bad.

Have you tried a cleaner specifically for cat urine? Something type of enzyme cleaner?

I used bicarb soda & vinegar then steam cleaned the carpets but doing that to a mattress wouldn't work

Sent from my T-Hub2 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

You would be better off spending the money getting electrodry in to clean the mattress, makingsure you tell them it's urine.

Or you can buy enzyme cleaner from the vet, or use a mild laundry detergent.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to cakeish For This Useful Post:

MsImpatient  (17-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

My cat weed on the carpet at our old house - I tried everything to get rid of the smell, nothing worked. It just stank. I'd honestly consider buying a new mattress.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wash my king size doonas (even though they say not too lol), but the dryer really does fail to dry them... It takes 2 to 3 goes, and you have to reshuffle it etc.

I think you will need to get your mattress cleaned by a professional. And then make sure to use mattress protectors and waterproof sheeting to avoid it in the future.

I am looking into the same for my dog who likes to pee on my BF's side of the bed..

So far the mattress protector has caught almost all of it, and I have been able to use some pet carpet cleaner (from the Shock Wow company.. Whatever it is lol) to get rid of the stain and smell..

Good luck!