+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default I need help, advice, something, anything...

This has all happened so fast but DH left last night for 3 months. He works overseas now and as much as I am not complaining because the money will be good .... Will it be worth it? it was suppose to be fly in fly out but it just keeps changing.
    So.....anyway ......,,,,,,,
    He just called to ask me to move to Indonesia next week as next year will be even busier for him I am just so torn right now. We have just had a baby!!! We have 2 dogs!!! How am I suppose to just up and leave next week. I love my husband don't get me wrong I've been crying since he left (yes I know I need to toughen up) but to just give my dogs away, sell all our belongings and take my baby to another country? Id be nervous to fly with her on my own and taxis do they even have baby seats? Sorry I am so all over the place and have no where to turn.

How is it with your partners away? Is it hard? Will we survive? Do you miss them? Do babies forget them? Gosh I have so many questions unanswered. Today was the first day without him and already it was so difficult

Oh and I checked with quarantine today if I take my dogs to Indonesia they will 99% not be allowed back into Australia well direct anyway.

This partner working away gig has honestly got me fizzled. Never thought it would be us.

Any advice for me?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Wow, tough decision!

Just about the dogs... Some kennels do long term boarding, so they could stay for a year. If you found a good one that could give them lots of attention it might help - you wouldn't have to give them up forever.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Justwant2beamummy For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (10-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Totally understandable the way your feeling. Have never been in that situation but think you need alot more than a week to arrange a move like that. Would you consider finding someone to house sit and look after the dogs? Perhaps a friend or relative- daughter/son who is mature and responsible. Think you need to stipulate some conditions around the move if you decide to go- what you need to make it as comfortable as possible and allow for regular visits home

5. The Following User Says Thank You to S12 For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (10-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Sounds like he was putting the question out there. I mean asking you to move in a week is a little silly and I've moved a lot. Tell him you are going to work out how (you obviously love him and it really won't have any effect on your child, their resilient) and then start planning.

How are you to get there?
    What are you going to do about the place your in?
    What do you take? Cheaper to buy there then transport, maybe!

The dogs should not go overseas and to be honest if you can find someone to adopt this is a better solution, try the RSPCA. Dogs have a 10-15 year life span give them a good life.

Stop panicking and start strategising.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to samken For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (10-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Hi, sounds like you need to breath deep and then breath deep again!
    It all seems very complicated and sudden but for what it's worth that is the lifestyle some have and it's not all that bad. My dad worked overseas for all my life and my mum just followed him from country to country... She can pack a house and move to another continent in less than a week!
    I myself lived in Indonesia with my parents for 5 years, I went to high school and had a very nice lifestyle.
    Where would you be moving to? Jakarta?
    I think it's fair that your husband wants you to move there, he misses you and wants his family there, I don't know if you can pack and go in a week but you shouldn't be scared to move there it'll be a wonderful experience.
    In regards to the dogs as much as I would hate to leave my doggy behind Indonesia is not dog friendly... If they ever got out and got lost you would never find them or get them back, and as you said it would be impossible to get them back in Australia, the best thing would be to either put them in a kennel for long term or find someone who will look after them long term.
    As for the baby it won't be a big issue, traveling with a baby is only as difficult as you make it. I've taken my DD who's 5months on 4 flights so far and plan an international trip in a month, she sleeps through the flights!
    If you have any questions let me know. :-)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ciaomamma For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (10-09-2012)

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: I need help, advice, something, anything...

I agree with samken, *if* this were gonna happen, there's no way it could happen in a week. Is he just missing you, and wants you there with him? What about you plan to go on a holiday, and see how you get on. And in the meantime look into the practicalities of the move... I would be so lonely if dh went away like that, hope ur doing ok

**Nothing spells as goof as typo splats**

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Gothel For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (10-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Excellent suggestion by Gothel. A holiday will at least prepare you for the different world you may be entering.

Thanks
    Reviews

Thank you for the replies I do need to just breathe .... He just didn't give me a chance to. I mean next week?

Will have to just sleep on it if I can!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Gothel View Post
    I agree with samken, *if* this were gonna happen, there's no way it could happen in a week. Is he just missing you, and wants you there with him? What about you plan to go on a holiday, and see how you get on. And in the meantime look into the practicalities of the move... I would be so lonely if dh went away like that, hope ur doing ok

**Nothing spells as goof as typo splats**
    Yes well missing the baby a tad more. Ok ok a holiday might be a start! I'm just not thinking straight tonight sorry guys.

Thanks
    Reviews

Samken I'll sit and do this tommorow! Gosh I was going to go shopping and grab a latte with my princess not plan a move to another country