+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Low HCG level

I'm 11 weeks pregnant. My most recent scan reveals that my bubs heartbeat is 169bpm but my HCG levels are very very low. I was told that it should normally double within 48 hours (increase by 100%) but my level only went up by 50%.

What does this mean? Is there a risk that I will have a miscarriage? I'm very very worried. I also have a hemorrhage and am 34 years old. This is my first pregnancy so I'm always concerned about every thing. Has anyone had a low HCG level with a normal heartbeat?

Pls help.

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Low HCG level

Don't quote me on this, but your hcg levels drop towards the end of the first trimester as your placenta takes over I think.

I don't know how many weeks that happens but I think that's probably why.

Hope you have an uneventful pregnancy x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    did your doctor tell you that? I thought that HCG was meant to decline after 10-12 weeks after it peaks. I think when you get to the high numbers it takes much longer to double.

What was your level?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Low HCG level

I'm sure it's meant to slow down towards the end of the first trimester *hugs*

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I agree with the others. At 11 weeks they would normally go by ultrasound only and not hcg as it does slow down. Did they tell you the actual level?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Low HCG level

Out of interest, what was your hcg??

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Low HCG level

I was told my HCG was 30000 at week 7 but at week 8 it only went up to 38000... I was told it should double every 48 hours! I'm 11 weeks now but my OB hasn't mentioned about my HCG level since my 8 week test. Is she not telling me because she's hiding things from me? Because she doesn't want me to get upset until my 13 week scan? I'm always having nightmares that my bub is deformed or that it's stillborn

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Low HCG level

^^^ This- Agree with blossom.. And just remember hcg levels will drop soon

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Low HCG level

I think you're needlessly worrying! I'm surprised you're still looking at your hcg levels - I didn't think many OBs looked at them once a heartbeat is detected.. And you've got a strong heartbeat, that's the most important thing!

Hcg level doubling times decrease as you progress in your pregnancy. Once ur levels hit a certain number, they start to slow, can take more than 96hrs to double. Even in early stages of pregnancy the "48hr doubling time" is a guide- its actually a range from 30-72 hrs. My doubling times in the early stages of pregnancy were about 60hrs...

I understand ur worried, I've had previous losses and difficult pregnancies. My current bub I had a hematoma detected in week 6 and had 2 bleeds, one quite heavy in week 11. But bubba's heartbeat was always strong, now I'm 29 weeks.

Try to focus in the positives - bub has a good heartbeat, and u get to see bubba on a scan very soon!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My ob stopped taking my HCG levels at 8 weeks. After that its about the ultrasound. Also the chance of miscarriage after seeing the heartbeat (generally around 6 weeks) drops to less than 3%. I would ingore the HCG as your heartbeat seems fine and normal.