+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The same way I would if they said they had a crush on a boy. To me it makes no difference who they love

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default How would you feel...

Quote Originally Posted by Blossompossum View Post
    I would probably be dissapointed/upset but in the end the love I have for my children would overall anything
    What would you be disappointed about in particular? The challenges that they would face?

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I would probably be dissapointed/upset but in the end the love I have for my children would overall anything
    Can I ask why you would be disappointed and upset? Im hoping it's in relation to the potential problems they might experience from homophobic people. Because there is nothing wrong with being gay.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

faroutbrusselsprout  (10-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

It's only page two but I am pleasantly surprised at how we all seem on the same page on this non-issue
    If my child told me they were homosexual... Well words wouldn't describe how pleased I'd be that they could be open and honest Not a thing would change unless they wanted it to, I would 100% support them in any way possible. To even think about feeling disappointed goes against the grain of being a Mum for me as it isn't supporting my child as a person.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Re: How would you feel...

Its not going to be an "issue" because My babies will never date anyone ever. (So hard to imagine with my baby curled up in my arms that she might grow up and be a big person. Let alone a sexual one).

Honestly.... I'd like to think I'll do and say and feel all the right things. But I think it would make me anxious for them. THOUGH that's in the context of here and now. I'd also like to think in a million years time when my babies aren't my babies any more that society will have change enough that the reasons I'd feel anxious for them simply no longer exist.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

VanityFey  (15-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    People will find plenty of things to bully/tease/hate against other people. Race, religion, height, weight, ability, the list goes on.
    I think raising a child to be confident in who they are, regardless of their sexuality, race, religion, looks, ability etc is a lot better than fearing that they will be targeted because of who they are. It happens to everyone at some stage of their life.
    Sure, it would be nice for our children to not experience that, but we can't stop it, we cant prevent it, so the best thing for us would be to build their confidence and accept them for who they are, without hoping they turn out the way YOU want them to be.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Guest1234 For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (10-09-2012),~Marigold~  (11-09-2012)

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I know same sex couples can still have children but lets face it. It's not as easy as between a man and a woman and in sure some people put it off or don't do it at all because of this. And if we like it or not there are still people out there that are homophobics and I would worry about that also not to mention the higher rate of depression and suicide in gay people

List could go on
    The higher rate of depression and suicide in gays is because of people who ostracise them from the community and don't accept them.

Even the comments you have stated re: having children, are enough to make a teenager feel like their sexual orientation is wrong, particularly when it comes from their parents.

If comments like these cease and parents are more accepting of their children's orientation, it won't be an "issue" any more.
    Last edited by Witwicky; 10-09-2012 at 22:46.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

babyla  (11-09-2012),Glover  (10-09-2012),Guest1234  (10-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for saying this so tactfully..
    Because I sure as hell could not.

Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    The higher rate of depression and suicide in gays is because of people who ostracise them from the community and don't accept them. People like yourself.
    Even the comments you have stated re: having children are enough to make a teenager feel like their sexual orientation is wrong, particularly when it comes from their parents.

If comments like these cease, it won't be an "issue" any more.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Glover For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (10-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    The higher rate of depression and suicide in gays is because of people who ostracise them from the community and don't accept them.

Even the comments you have stated re: having children, are enough to make a teenager feel like their sexual orientation is wrong, particularly when it comes from their parents.

If comments like these cease, it won't be an "issue" any more
    Exactly. I remember when I told my parents I was bisexual, they didn't accept it. Told me it was a phase, tried their hardest to stop me seeing any potential females who may be my girlfriend. All I could think/feel was that if my parents couldn't accept me, then what chance do I have of other people accepting me?

So sad you can't make your child be who you want them to be, you need to let them be who they are and accept them. That's what unconditional love is.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest1234 For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (10-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I know same sex couples can still have children but lets face it. It's not as easy as between a man and a woman and in sure some people put it off or don't do it at all because of this.
    I think perhaps Blossompossum (correct me if I'm wrong) is saying that as a same-sex couple there is a lot more hoops to jump through to have a child (sperm donation and IVF for lesbian couple and I'm guessing surrocacy or adoption for gay couples) as opposed to a heterosexual couple who can concieve naturally (yes and some of them have problems as well!!) and that she'd be upset at all the barriers her child would have to face to have their own children (assuming of course they'd want children).

I didn't view it as a negative comment, its just a biological fact of life. I can totally understand that she as a mother would be worried that her child may not be able to become a mother/father as easily as they would if they were in a heterosexual relationship.

And I hope that in the future it DOES become easier for homosexual couples to become parents and don't have so many barriers in their way.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wannawannabe For This Useful Post:

AllYouNeedIsLove  (11-09-2012),backgroundnoise  (10-09-2012),~ElectricPink~  (11-09-2012)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast