+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default How would you feel...

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpancakes View Post
    I would scoop them up into my arms and tell them I love them unconditionally, and that they have my full support. Then I'd throw a party if they wanted us to celebrate! I'd feel very relieved that they felt comfortable enough to tell me. I'd research online the various ways a parent can support their child.
    This^^^^

2. The Following User Says Thank You to HugsBunny For This Useful Post:

Luna Lovegood  (10-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

I'd feel no different than I would if they were heterosexual. I'd act no different that they were heterosexual. I'd be proud that they trusted me enough to be open with me as to who they truly are, and I'd be happy that they could be who they truly are.

I'd give them my full support.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest1234 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

Tell them it's a phase and they'll grow out of it.

Just kidding, that's what I was told by my parents and one of my grandmothers.

I'll tell them their sexuality is a non issue and I love them and hope they'll find someone who truly loves them and respects them, I don't care if it's a guy or a girl. I'll also tell them that sexuality isn't written in stone and not to feel trapped if it changes because it can be fluid.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jake's mum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Go about my day as per usual! I feel pretty confident that my daughter won't feel the need to come out, it's gay-city in both our families.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to GreenMama For This Useful Post:

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would smile, I would say "cool!", I would be happy for them. I would feel SO proud of them for having the strength to come out and tell me, particularly at that age.

If it as MY child, I imagine it wouldn't be such a big 'deal' - no more than if they told me they were straight. Who knows, they very well might think it's a big deal...but I hope not.
    Last edited by Witwicky; 10-09-2012 at 21:16.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    What would you say?
    TBH it would be a total non-event but I would not want to dismiss their feelings. So I woudl say 'Thanks for sharing how you feel' and then my thoughts of 'love', 'attraction', 'sexual orientation'. See what they feel in response to that and ask them what they wanted us to do from here? Obvioulsy that I love them lots and accept them unconditionally and all that jazz.

What would you do?
    AS above, I would ask them what they wanted to do from this point. Who did they want to tell, how can I support them etc etc. I would also cover off on all teh safe s3x side of things etc. And also find a support network for them.

How would you feel?
    I would feel sad that they felt they had to 'tell me' tbh - that is was something that had to be discussed/announced that they weren't hetreosexual. I would also be glad that they felt comfortable to tell me, but yeh a bit disapointed that it had reached that point. (having siad that I talking from the POV that that that 10+yrs away - I plan on raising my child with no 'sexual orientation presumption' for want of a better term I guess. I won't assume they like girls or guys or both or none and always make all types of relationships known to them so that if they ID with any of them they will be comfy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenMama View Post
    Go about my day as per usual! I feel pretty confident that my daughter won't feel the need to come out, it's gay-city in both our families.
    In my family it is odd to be hetero...lol
    But my cousin still didn't come out for ages...not till my brother and I found his profile on gaydar...awkward experience...the photos...I have no more words...

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Luna Lovegood For This Useful Post:

beebs  (10-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpancakes View Post
    I would scoop them up into my arms and tell them I love them unconditionally, and that they have my full support. Then I'd throw a party if they wanted us to celebrate! I'd feel very relieved that they felt comfortable enough to tell me. I'd research online the various ways a parent can support their child.
    Yeah, this sounds pretty good!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would actually be really happy for her. I think as a general rule women make better partners than men I've often wished to be a lesbian, but sadly I'm straight as a... really straight thing... which I can't think of right now. A stick?

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shelle65 For This Useful Post:

AllYouNeedIsLove  (11-09-2012),Gothel  (10-09-2012),Stiflers Mom  (11-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The sexuality of my child won't factor in to how I feel about them, ever.
    This, absolutely.