+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Our local hospital's MWs aren't allowed to offer formula. I know this because a MW told me she wished they could sometimes. I asked that my room be supplied with formula and a bottle be brought into theatre, this was no issue, but it couldn't be offered or suggested by the hospital.

I find them to be fairly 'feeding friendly' in their approach.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Hospital offering formula top ups?

My hospital ask you to sign a form if we choose to Formula feed as they are big on breast feeding so yes I think it's weird they offer formula for no real good reason at all!

Thanks
    Reviews

I find it quite unusual yet refreshing that a hospital would happily offer it without the usual guilts they put on FF mothers.

I've heard of so many mums who didn't want to or couldn't breast feed being given a hard time about formula feeding.

I think all hospitals need to be understanding both ways. Ie, not offering formula if it's not needed (I don't believe it was in your friends case, 200 grams isn't panic stations, maybe at 300-500 grams it could be offered- depending on the birth weight) but not making it hard for those who want to formula feed without being told or made to feel like they are the worst mother in the world.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: Hospital offering formula top ups?

Quote Originally Posted by CuddlesAwait View Post
    I find it quite unusual yet refreshing that a hospital would happily offer it without the usual guilts they put on FF mothers.

I've heard of so many mums who didn't want to or couldn't breast feed being given a hard time about formula feeding.

I think all hospitals need to be understanding both ways. Ie, not offering formula if it's not needed (I don't believe it was in your friends case, 200 grams isn't panic stations, maybe at 300-500 grams it could be offered- depending on the birth weight) but not making it hard for those who want to formula feed without being told or made to feel like they are the worst mother in the world.
    It's normal for babies to lose up to and even a little more than 10% of their body weight. So it depends on the babies weight how much loss is okay. I dont think my friend found it refreshing at all. It's lucky she was well researched and armed with a lactation consultant really.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bumMum For This Useful Post:

missie_mackxxxx  (13-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

I think hospitals pushing BFing is the right thing to do, I know of one mother who didn't BF just because her friend didn't which is ridiculous! My hospital asks you to sign a form if you wish to ff which states you know and have been told the factors of why BFing is the best option etc. I would rather midwives and nurses push me to bf than to offer formula for no good reason!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I actually wish someone offered me a top up feed for ds, instead I was made feel guilty about artificially feeding my starving child.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Alimia For This Useful Post:

beebs  (13-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I really wanted to breastfeed, my DS had jaundice and needed fluid to flush it out, I just wasn't producing any colostrum. He would fall asleep at the boob really quickly or would suck for hours and I would get in trouble from the midwives. I was offered a comp feed but initally refused. I felt bad because it could help to flush out the jaundice. My milk still hadn't come in and we decided that we would try a comp feed by letting him suck at my boob buy putting a small tube in the side of his mouth. Like they do for premmies. I was just so confused. Every shift change you would get a different set of attitudes. I would have to explain why we are doing it like this after they would ask why not just use a bottle. He had about 4 feeds like this and then my milk came in, I was so relieved! We are still breastfeeding now 13months later.

Thanks
    Reviews
    At most hospitals nowadays the staff on the wards are NOT midwives and have little to no education on breastfeeding... Budget cuts have forced hospitals to put the bare minimum legally required staff on the wards, so often, the nurse you are dealing with is not only not a midwife, but is often not even a registered nurse! I had my first baby 19 years ago, then, ALL the staff on the ward were certified midwives... With my last baby, there was one supervising midwife, assisted by another registered nurse (for handing out medications etc) and the rest of the staff were enrolled nurses with NO specific training in either midi, or breastfeeding. (this was a major teaching hospital too by the way!) The hospital should have a lactation consultant available.... Do NOT take any breastfeeding advice from staff who are not trained to give it... If you can't get the lactation consultant, the ward will almost certainly have a number, or a brochure from the local Nursing Mothers association... Talk to them if you have a question... They can give you the correct information..
    Hope this helps!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I wouldn't say that's the norm, my experience has been the opposite - militant beliefs about bfing, nasty comments being made about formula and any mother that uses it. The NUM of the maternity with my first tried on telling me that she refused to discharge me on day 5 unless I could 'prove' to her I could successfully feed of each breast. Needless to say I gave her a controlled tongue lashing and told her I WOULD be going home... I also told her how disgraceful her behaviour was and how if I wanted to use formula for MY child I would.