+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't find it weird or negative that formula was offered as one option at a particular point in time. What is the harm in making the offer? Of course, it doesn't mean it has to be accepted by the parent. One parent might have been grateful for many reasons, another might not.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I found the philosophy changed with each shift change. One nurse would put the baby in bed with me, the next would tell me it's dangerous and take her out. One showed me "the" breast feeding position which reminded me of a golf lesson. I think you really need to do your research before you give birth.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to beancounter For This Useful Post:

HowCrazyCool  (12-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Hospital offering formula top ups?

I had an emergency c-section at night. Nurse brought my DS in and I asked if she could help me breast feed. She stated bubba was too tired and refused.

They wheeled him into the nursery a
    and I woke a couple of hours later rang the nurse - asked if I could try and she stated your baby is asleep (I have no idea how she could say that without checking)

Next morning they just wheeled him in crying and left him next to me. Didn't even hand him to me. I asked if I could try and they said wait bout 1/2 hour till another nurse came as they were too busy to help me. Meanwhile I held bub and he spewed a big amount of milk - meaning they gave him formula after my repeated requests to breast feed him.

Due to attachment issues and generally being ignored for 5 days I left and still could not get DS latched. I hastily brought a breast pump on my way home but 4 weeks later my supply stopped. No drugs or LC could get it back. My DS was formula fed from then on.

I can't help but be a bit bitter about this experience. Oh and I was at a private hospital as well. One with a really good reputation

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Meld85 View Post
    I had an emergency c-section at night. Nurse brought my DS in and I asked if she could help me breast feed. She stated bubba was too tired and refused.

and I woke a couple of hours later rang the nurse - asked if I could try and she stated your baby is asleep (I have no idea how she could say that without checking)

Next morning they just wheeled him in crying and left him next to me. Didn't even hand him to me. I asked if I could try and they said wait bout 1/2 hour till another nurse came as they were too busy to help me. Meanwhile I held bub and he spewed a big amount of milk - meaning they gave him formula after my repeated requests to breast feed him.

Due to attachment issues and generally being ignored for 5 days I left and still could not get DS latched. I hastily brought a breast pump on my way home but 4 weeks later my supply stopped. No drugs or LC could get it back. My DS was formula fed from then on.

I can't help but be a bit bitter about this experience. Oh and I was at a private hospital as well. One with a really good reputation
    That's disgusting. I'm so sorry that they did that to you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: Hospital offering formula top ups?

Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    The hospital I gave birth in made me sign a release to comp feed, stating that I knew how dangerous it was and it wasn't like breast milk etc etc I have medical reasons, but I still felt like a criminal.
    Yeah I think that is probably for legal reasons so people can't come. Back and say "you made me do this.".. I don't think anyone should be made to feel like a criminal though.. on this issue.. this friend I made this post about called me frantically yesterday because her baby lost 500 grams and the paed told her she HAD to use formula or her baby would be unwell. She was told She probably can't breastfeed exclusively and not offered any advice about how to increase supply, or told that she actually has weeks before regaining birth weight is an issue and 500 grams is not excessive. Well she quickly got onto a doula, a midwife friend and started reading Dr. Jack newmans website to reassure herself. When she told the paed She was refusing formula top ups they yelled at her, ganged up on her when her husband wasn't there and made her sign a form saying She was going against medical advice. She has been treated really badly and as someone whose babies were big weight droppers and slow gainers I know all too well how obsessed hospitals are with that crap, even when the baby looks and acts healthy. My dd has never had a weigh in after I left hospital for this reason. Some hospitals are so uninformed and push formula still.
    Funnily after all this from the hospital her baby was weighed this morning and had gained 160 grams without a formula top up. I'm so glad my friend has had to fight for her right to feed her baby at the breast.. :thumbdown:

Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bumMum For This Useful Post:

missie_mackxxxx  (12-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Meld85 View Post

Ugh. Sickening. I'm so sorry that happened to you.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by littleriv View Post
    I don't find it weird or negative that formula was offered as one option at a particular point in time. What is the harm in making the offer? Of course, it doesn't mean it has to be accepted by the parent. One parent might have been grateful for many reasons, another might not.
    It's negative because beginning to use formula can set up a preference. It also doesn't help bring in milk supply..in low socio economic areas like where I live, people are not always as informed and may think because their baby happily gulped some formula but didn't breastfeed with ease that they can't breastfeed. It can set people up to fail. That is basically what happened to me with my first.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    Why is it when it is decided that a woman has 'low supply' the medical response is to give formula and/or motillium. Why is the medical reasons behind the low supply never investigated? It makes me sad TBH. I have always suffered from low supply (and I know the reasons why) but not one of the many Drs I have seen over the years for my motillium scripts has ever asked me or discussed the causes. And really the causes can be big things like retained placenta or hypothyroidism.
    Because IMO, most health professionals are really not informed about those issues at all..they know the standard hospital procedure and that's all.

Thanks
    Reviews

My DD had to have formula top up in Hostpital because she was born 3weeks early & only small due to IUGR. My colstrume (spelt wrong) was perfect so I expressed because she couldn't suck without falling asleep so she was syringe feed for couple days & they had to give her top ups to keep her blood sugar levels up. By the end I just gave up & gave her formula for all feeds. I really wanted to breast feed but because she couldn't suck & they had to give top ups. She only lost 70grams of her birth weight at 3days old

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mummytopeanut View Post
    My DD had to have formula top up in Hostpital because she was born 3weeks early & only small due to IUGR. My colstrume (spelt wrong) was perfect so I expressed because she couldn't suck without falling asleep so she was syringe feed for couple days & they had to give her top ups to keep her blood sugar levels up. By the end I just gave up & gave her formula for all feeds. I really wanted to breast feed but because she couldn't suck & they had to give top ups. She only lost 70grams of her birth weight at 3days old
    Its very tricky with prems and little babies and particularly with blood sugar issues too. You did well to give your baby colustrum