+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    When I had my last two (twins) I was very saddened to hear the midwives offering formula in place of a night breastfeed to two of the women in my room. They were both c/s, both very sore, a bit out of it and exhausted and the babies were fussing and hungry. They brought the babies in from the nursery and said 'your baby is hungry, do you want to feed her?', both said (half asleep) they were tired and the mw just said 'ok I'll give her some formula, do you have a preference which one?'. I was really disappointed they didn't encourage them a bit more

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Hospital offering formula top ups?

I was also incredibly relieved to be offered formula in hospital. DD couldn't attach and I was hand expressed numerous times, it was excruciating. All her efforts to attach had done a lot of damage.

I felt like it wasn't okay to use formula, so when the nurse suggested it I felt nothing but relief. My starving bubba finally settled. I then went to expressing every feed to let my nipples recover. I didn't have enough milk to sate my hungry bubba so topped up with formula. I had to set my alarm to express every 2.5 hours to be ready for her 3 hourly feed. The only way I could get a let down was in a scorching hot shower. A couple of times she woke early and I hadn't finished expressing yet so had to rock the bassinet with my foot while hooked up to a machine listening to my baby cry. If the same situation occurred next time I have a bubba I will be nicer to myself and give more top ups in hospital to get ahead.

I realise this is in the breast feeding section and I am pro breast feeding. I just know how hard it is in those early days in the hospital.
    Last edited by Wise Enough; 10-09-2012 at 21:16.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it can even depend on the midwife you get. I had one who did offer a formula top up which I declined and another who was completely against it and very vocal to another mother when she asked for a top up.

I did eventually give a small top up after 5 days of no sleep (very long labour) as I just needed a few hours rest. After that my milk came in and we have been bfing since. I would admit that I didn't fully understand the potential consequences of toping up and I feel very lucky that it didn't hinder me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: Hospital offering formula top ups?

Quote Originally Posted by Annabella View Post
    When I had my last two (twins) I was very saddened to hear the midwives offering formula in place of a night breastfeed to two of the women in my room. They were both c/s, both very sore, a bit out of it and exhausted and the babies were fussing and hungry. They brought the babies in from the nursery and said 'your baby is hungry, do you want to feed her?', both said (half asleep) they were tired and the mw just said 'ok I'll give her some formula, do you have a preference which one?'. I was really disappointed they didn't encourage them a bit more
    I thought hospitals encouraged rooming in now?

Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was told I had to give my son formula top ups because he was losing too much weight. I was devastated, so they offered to shove a tube up his nose "if I didn't want to give him a bottle". At the time I ended up agreeing, but in retrospect I wish I had asked more question.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I am not against formula btw. I'm against hospitals just offering formula top ups casually when the mother and baby are not having any kind of obvious problems, and Definitely against them not explaining the possible consequences.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS got top up formula in hospital and honestly I was so grateful to them. I laboured over night from 6am until I had him at 6.17 the following morning. I was wrecked and wasn't thinking straight and when the one terrible middy I had pulled DS straight off my boobs (no finger in the mouth to unlatch him) numerous times as she said I was doing it wrong. I screamed in pain and that started the red raw, grazed, bleeding nipples, expressing colostrum full of blood - she ruined it for me. Thankfully the next middy felt so incredibly sorry for me that they took him to the nursery and gave him a top up to settle him so that I could get a couple of hours sleep, never been so grateful.

She also told me about Lanisoh and got my Mum to go buy some for me while I was asleep and I could have kissed her for it. Still remember her name and what she looks like.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Blossompossum View Post
    Oh and I thought majority of babies lost 10% of their birthweight in the first week. Isn't that 200g normal?
    It's very normal. It's pretty minimal actually. My bigger baby lost 400 g.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Blossompossum View Post
    Oh and I thought majority of babies lost 10% of their birthweight in the first week. Isn't that 200g normal?
    I thought so, but then I think from memory they are supposed to have gone back to birth weight by the time you either leave the hospy or have the first MCHN check, at least I thought it was.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    The hospital I gave birth in made me sign a release to comp feed, stating that I knew how dangerous it was and it wasn't like breast milk etc etc I have medical reasons, but I still felt like a criminal.