+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 39
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    6,372
    Thanks
    422
    Thanked
    1,168
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

    Default Hospital offering formula top ups?

    Just visited a friend with her newborn. She is desperate to bf this baby as she had a rough time last baby and has already been offered a formula top up on day 3.. baby has only lost 200 grams. Wtf. The nurse didn't even give a reason except "you might want to".. I gave birth at the same hospital and was also offered formula because my baby was big and they said she would starve. I just love how people are Still arguing that we are all educated enough about breastfeeding and its been promoted too much.. um.. our own friggin hospital staff aren't educated lol. Does anyone else think this is weird? It's a baby friendly hospital initiative hospital too!
    Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,973
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked
    605
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

    Default Hospital offering formula top ups?

    I wish my hospital offered me formula. I realize now that my little girl was getting no milk from me in the 5 days we stayed in hospital. By day 5 the hospital advised us to give formula. I just wish I'd been encouraged to comp feed before that. Now I feel like I let my DD go hungry for so long

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    6,372
    Thanks
    422
    Thanked
    1,168
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

    Default Re: Hospital offering formula top ups?

    Quote Originally Posted by lemonpancakes View Post
    I wish my hospital offered me formula. I realize now that my little girl was getting no milk from me in the 5 days we stayed in hospital. By day 5 the hospital advised us to give formula. I just wish I'd been encouraged to comp feed before that. Now I feel like I let my DD go hungry for so long
    Obviously I don't know your situation but if you mean you weren't even producing colustrum then they can't know that right away but I would hope they would offer formula too so your baby doesn't starve! But surely you also realise that routinely offering formula in the early days of breastfeeding is not helpful.

    Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,311
    Thanks
    2,387
    Thanked
    4,599
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

    Default Hospital offering formula top ups?

    I was enormously relieved to be offered a top up feed by the midwives.

    DD was ravenous and a top up helped soothe her while my milk finally came in.

    She fed until 12 months and the top up was nothing but helpful. It wasn't a substitute for a feed, it was in addition to. She still had constant access to my breasts.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    6,372
    Thanks
    422
    Thanked
    1,168
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

    Default Re: Hospital offering formula top ups?

    Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    I was enormously relieved to be offered a top up feed by the midwives.

    DD was ravenous and a top up helped soothe her while my milk finally came in.

    She fed until 12 months and the top up was nothing but helpful. It wasn't a substitute for a feed, it was in addition to. She still had constant access to my breasts.
    My first child was "topped up" but nobody explained to me that regular top ups interfere with your supply. My milk supple was always low and he never exclusively breastfed and eventually developed a preference for formula.

    Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,311
    Thanks
    2,387
    Thanked
    4,599
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

    Default Hospital offering formula top ups?

    I can't comment on your hospital, but mine was very open about the whole process and potential consequences and made sure I was genuinely comfortable with it.

    I was fully aware of all the pros and cons, but based on my experience the midwives wouldnt have let mother agree to a top up without making sure they knew the potential impact.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    6,372
    Thanks
    422
    Thanked
    1,168
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

    Default Re: Hospital offering formula top ups?

    Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    I can't comment on your hospital, but mine was very open about the whole process and potential consequences and made sure I was genuinely comfortable with it.

    I was fully aware of all the pros and cons, but based on my experience the midwives wouldnt have let mother agree to a top up without making sure they knew the potential impact.
    Definitely my hospital didn't do that! They didn't do anything vaguely useful though. Didn't explain that its normal for babies to whinge and cry and fuss while waiting for your milk to come in.. told me to pump If I was worried my baby was hungry but didn't explain that its normal to only be able to pump a little bit.. then when I was at my weakest, with a baby who had a lazy suck and was unsettled.. they said "here's a bottle and some formula".

    Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,311
    Thanks
    2,387
    Thanked
    4,599
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

    Default Hospital offering formula top ups?

    Quote Originally Posted by bumMum View Post
    Definitely my hospital didn't do that! They didn't do anything vaguely useful though. Didn't explain that its normal for babies to whinge and cry and fuss while waiting for your milk to come in.. told me to pump If I was worried my baby was hungry but didn't explain that its normal to only be able to pump a little bit.. then when I was at my weakest, with a baby who had a lazy suck and was unsettled.. they said "here's a bottle and some formula".

    Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub
    That's utterly ****e of them

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    6,372
    Thanks
    422
    Thanked
    1,168
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

    Default Re: Hospital offering formula top ups?

    Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    That's utterly ****e of them
    Yes it was. Only I didn't realise for a long time. I was convinced I was only able to produce a little bit of milk as I looked at the 10 ml I pumped, my baby was going to shrivel away and as my milk supply still failed to increase with time I felt sure that formula top ups were the only way. Even worse, they never offered me ANY advice to help increase my supply. There are some absolutely rubbish maternity hospitals around.

    Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,311
    Thanks
    2,387
    Thanked
    4,599
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

    Default Hospital offering formula top ups?

    Not to mention what you can pump doesn't indicate what your baby can 'extract'.

    I hope your friend doesn't have the same experience as you.

    Top ups can be helpful. But they do need sensible midwives.


 

Similar Threads

  1. ***Spinoff*** Formula in hospital: who should supply it?
    By VicPark in forum Pregnancy & Birth General Chat
    Replies: 287
    Last Post: 23-06-2012, 22:16
  2. BLW and Breastfeeding - when to stop offering breast first?
    By FluffyDucks in forum Breastfeeding Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 23-06-2012, 15:02

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Pebblebee
Parents spend hours looking for things they need NOW. The keys, the remote, darling daughter's treasured teddy. Stop wasting precious time looking & start finding with Bub Hub reviewed Pebblebee Smart Tag. Simply attach a Pebblebee and find it fast.
sales & new stuffsee all
Wendys Music School Melbourne
Wondering about Music Lessons? FREE 30 minute ASSESSMENT. Find out if your child is ready! Piano from age 3 years & Guitar, Singing, Drums, Violin from age 5. Lessons available for all ages. 35+ years experience. Structured program.
Use referral 'bubhub' when booking
featured supporter
Softmats
Softmats specialises in safe, non-toxic, and durable play mats. The international Premium Dwinguler™ Play Mats and Premium Bubba Mat™ range of floor spaces are the best quality in the world.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!