+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think she sounds like a troubled teen. I'd be having a discussion about facebook and its dangers and what she thinks is appropriate and why.

And I'd be educating her about Aids.

Is she seeing a counsellor (I think I remember you posting about her before)? Maybe you could raise it with the counsellor.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: What do you think about this from a teen?

She was but they didn't gel and with her ignorant attitude it didn't help. She is quite troubled and has a lot of hurt from her mum. At the moment our aim is to keep her at school and off the streets

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default What do you think about this from a teen?

Education about aids definitely.

Also either close down fB altogether or at least have the computer in a public space.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Its great that you've taken her in full time now and care so much. From what I remember its been a pretty tough and rocky journey. I don't think there's much else you can do but keep monitoring her, restricting her computer access like you have, and keep talking. I hope things improve now she's got some stability.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

Luna Lovegood  (10-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RunawayPrincess View Post
    I don't think I'd MAKE her write an apology, I'd encourage her to, but I would want it to be genuine. Making her do it IMO wouldn't be genuine, unless she wanted to and saw that her words/actions were wrong.
    I don;t think apologising (or not apologising) would be of any benefit for her at all, but what about the girl who has aids? It might be nice for her if she realises she is the one being joked about.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

It sounds like she probably does smoke weed? Do you know if she does?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Luna Lovegood View Post
    I don;t think apologising (or not apologising) would be of any benefit for her at all, but what about the girl who has aids? It might be nice for her if she realises she is the one being joked about.
    And what happens after the OPs SDD apologises, then a week later does similar to the girl again? I think that would be even worse than the OPs SDD not apologising. So unless the apology is genuine, then I don't see the benefit to anyone involved in forcing the SDD to apologise when she may not mean it.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: What do you think about this from a teen?

I'm not saying its right, but this is normal behavior from today's teens. So just be aware this sort of thing doesn't mean she's a bad kid. And many of her peers will be doing simular and not being punished for it.

Sent from my HTC One X using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrsmammy View Post
    I'm not saying its right, but this is normal behavior from today's teens. So just be aware this sort of thing doesn't mean she's a bad kid. And many of her peers will be doing simular and not being punished for it.

Sent from my HTC One X using BubHub
    I'm not disagreeing with you, I wouldn't know. But that makes me so sad to think that could be true...
    I'm terrified about having teenagers if this is normal...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a lot of experience with teenagers (I'm a high school teacher), and would agree with mrsmammy - it's pretty normal.

Of course, that doesn't mean it's acceptable. I'd certainly be explaining to her that it was unacceptable, and why. I'd also be talking to her factually about AIDS - what it is, ways it's transmitted, what it means for people living with it etc.

The thing is, she's 13. Whilst some kids are quite aware at that age of the consequences of their actions, others REALLY aren't. I find when it comes to bullying etc. that MOST of the time, the kids aren't really intending to hurt other people... they just think something is weird/funny/they want to fit in etc.