User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default NT scan perfect but abnormal bloods high risk for Trisomy 21

I have my combined screening test results which indicate a higher risk for Trisomy 21, 1:220 age 33.

Our 12 week scan was perfect, normal fold of 1.7mm nasal bone found measuring 2.8mm and baby measuring perfectly at 6.5cm.

My bloods however are not good, High HCG 2.1mom and low Papp-a .33mom giving us a 1:220 chance of Down Syndrome for my age 33. I'm really worried about the blood results.

This baby was conceived using IVF with a natural cycle frozen embryo transfer, I have read IVF drugs can throw bloods out but I haven't had any IVF drugs since March.

Can the blood results just be your normal level? I'm booked in for an amnio in 3 weeks, I don't know how I'm going to cope for the remaining time, I just feel sick with worry
    33 & 35 MFI Testicular Cancer Survivor
    ICSI 4th time lucky BFP!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default NT scan perfect but abnormal bloods high risk for Trisomy 21

I really feel for you. I had a similar result for my son in 2010. We had been through 5 yrs of ivf and then to come back as high risk absolutely broke my heart. I was aged 35 and it was a medicated fet. I also had amino and thank goodness my results came back perfect. He is now a healthy one yr old and the love of my life.
    I don't think there are any words that can make you feel better. Maybe try to focus on your positive scan results. I found that's what helped me.
    I will be thinking of you and hope you get excellent results. Take care xx
    Me & Him 35
    Trying to conceive since 2005 Unexplained...
    IUIx3 06, 07 all bfn
    IVF 4/08 bfn, FET 8/09 bfn, FET 9/09 Chemical
    IVF 12/09 Chemical, FET 9/10 bfn, FET 10/10

Thanks
    Reviews
    That is less than 0.5% chance, don't stress! I wish health professionals would explain the results better to women. If the result was 1:100 it is still only 1% chance.
    Me 34 and Him 37
    DD 22/-1/2005

DS 22/09/2006
    baby 8w5d 09/2012

IVF ICSI #1= EPU 10, 5 mature, 4 fert, 3 x 3 day embryo's, 3 x day 5 embryo's, 1 snowbaby and 1 ET=BFN

4. The Following User Says Thank You to secondtimearound2 For This Useful Post:

FirstTimeMummy2012  (13-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just went through this
    There is nothing to make you feel any better or worry any less.
    Luckily for us, all is fine and we are onto week 18 of the pregnancy.
    I wish you all the best xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Due to complications with Drs I didn't have my NT scan at 13 weeks. Instead I had the triple marker blood test at 16 weeks. That gave me a result of 1:70 for trisomy 18 (non compatible with life, etc etc). My OB sent me for a soft markers scan and everything came back fine. Absolutely no abnormalities on the USS, and I am now 19w 1d. I was considering getting the amnio done, but I am no longer. Between my soft markers USS and my 19w USS I am quite confident my baby is perfectly fine. Maybe ask your OB for a soft markers USS instead of the amnio. Might take more time but there is less physical pain for you then.

Wishing you all the best

7. The Following User Says Thank You to smidget3004 For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (28-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    i had the same in my first pregnancy, ultrasound normal but blood test high risk for T21. I had the amino test which came back as positive for T21. my odds were 1 : 64

its a difficult and stressful time as you dont know what to do but just follow your heart and do what is right for you. remember that whatever you decide it is something that you will remember for the rest of your life.

i was offered conselling but didnt take it as its not for me but i know ppl who found it really help. also visit the midwives/doc/hospital as often as you need and ask every question no matter how silly or repetitive it is.

the amino test is risky due to miscarriage but its a difinite answer - if its bad news it lets you prepare or make decisions on the future of the baby or if its good news you will be able to enjoy the rest of the pregnancy.

good luck, i know how hard it is playing the waiting game.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to instabella For This Useful Post:

kmvw  (28-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    With my first pregnancy (age 33) my levels were similar to yours. 12 week scan was also fine. My dr told me in his experience the only patients that had come back with a positive test for Downs after amnio were those whose bloods had shown something closer to a 1:10 chance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thankyou for your support and sharing your experience. I did have the amnio and fortunately the result came through last night and everything is perfect
    33 & 35 MFI Testicular Cancer Survivor
    ICSI 4th time lucky BFP!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kmvw View Post
    Thankyou for your support and sharing your experience. I did have the amnio and fortunately the result came through last night and everything is perfect
    that is great news good luck with the rest of your pregnancy now you can really relax and enjoy it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im so happy for you, enjoy your pregnancy