+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Help me understand what age prep/school starts??

My DS was born in August 2010. He just turned 2.... So when does he need to start Prep and School?? (We're in Brisbane).

I SOOOOO have no idea about schooling/ages/prep/etc... One of my friends has just booked her 2yo into prep. I have NO idea where to start.

Also, I'm pregnant and due March 2013. When will that bub need to be in school? I'm thinking cause they'll be March/August births, they'll be 2 years apart, is that right???

Ohhhhh, so confused...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Quote Originally Posted by sunnyskies View Post
    My DS was born in August 2010. He just turned 2.... So when does he need to start Prep and School?? (We're in Brisbane).

I SOOOOO have no idea about schooling/ages/prep/etc... One of my friends has just booked her 2yo into prep. I have NO idea where to start.

Also, I'm pregnant and due March 2013. When will that bub need to be in school? I'm thinking cause they'll be March/August births, they'll be 2 years apart, is that right???

Ohhhhh, so confused...
    Your ds would start prep the year he turns 6.

Your 2nd child would start the year he/she turns 5 .

Any one born after 30th june is due to start at 6.
    And those born before 30th june start at 5.

Thanks
    Reviews
    6 years old, are u serious??!! S does that mean he'll be 6 years old, turning 7 when he starts Grade 1?

I thought we used to all start grade 1 when we were 5.... geez times have changed

Also - is "Prep" the same as Preschool? Or is Prep at a proper school with uniforms and all that jazz?
    Do kids still go to preschool at a regular preschool?

Thanks
    Reviews

Your DS will start school (prep) when he is 5. He will be one of the eldest in his class. My DD and DSS are both in prep this year, the kids were all either 4, turning 5 in a few months, or already 5. You will need to enroll him around July the year before unless it's a really popular school where spots fill up quickly. Hope that helps a little

Thanks
    Reviews

Prep is at a proper school, uniform and all at least that's how it is up here in QLD. I believe prep replaces preschool.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm in Qld and my 3yo will be going to preschool at a C&K centre next year. That is apparently one of five options for preschool (in Qld I assume).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    The simple was is... you start school the year you turn 5 if your birthday is before July 1. If it's on or after July 1, you start school the year you turn 6.

VERY RARELY will schools allow a child to start sooner. You have to be like mensa-level genius to get them to consider it, basically. lol.

Prep is proper school. You'll have to enrol in an actual school - not a C&K type thing, but a state or private school. You'll also find your child will have their first year of high school when they're in Year 7. Not year 8. They're changing it in a few years, I can't remember which year, but I know my daughter (currently age 7) is going to be starting high school in year 7.

It's getting more inline with most other states that have "prep" (or something of the same description but by another name), and therefore 13 years of primary school. Other states often start high school in Grade 7 as well.

Hope that helps!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Your DS will start in 2016. He'll be 5.5 turning 6 in the August of his first year and will be one of the eldest in his year.

Prep is proper school, 5 days a week, usually 9-3pm.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Help me understand what age prep/school starts??

My son was born in June 2010.
    In n.s.w unless he is super smart he wont start school til Jan 2016, he will be 5 1/2

Sent from my T-Hub2 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yep, 2016.

From my understanding, prep kind of replaced "preschool"... because it used to be kindy, preschool (which was very relaxed and similar to kindy) and then Grade 1. With my kids they have done/are doing Kindy (at a C&K) for a few days, then straight to prep.

It really is very much a proper school. Some schools section off the prep kids, so they aren't mixing with the rest of the school, but ours only did that for term 1 (different lunch time and earlier pick ups) and then they were out with the rest of the school at lunch and using toilets with all the big kids. Was a bit scary for me, but they really did fine, and DD1 (who is now in grade 1) is now friends with a lot of older kids too, who all look out for her, which is really sweet.