+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I full time expressed with DD due to poor attachment (small mouth, flat nipples) from 10 weeks until she was 6 months. It wasnt easy. I tried to get her back to B/Feeding at around 14 weeks but it just didnt work and was more stress than it was worth at the time.

It CAN be done but takes commitment and perseverance. Like someone else said, once you get in to a routine it gets easier. Initally I had oversupply but because a pump isnt as effective as baby getting the milk out, my supply dropped over time. I would express after every bottle she had, up to 120mls each feed (depending on supply at the time). Took fenugreek / blessed thistle, made lactation cookies and LOTS of water. I too found that a manual pump was more effective than an electric.

I figured that although I couldnt B/feed (and I felt VERY guilty about it and self-conscious when around other b/feeding mothers) I was still giving DD the very best and it doesnt matter how she gets it - via boob or bottle - its still breastmilk.

Good luck OP, remember even if you dont get to go back to b/feeding, its not the end of the world, just do whats best for BOTH you and bubs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Ladies,

Thanks for sharing your stories, my baby is now 10 weeks and i am still expressing full time. I seem to have a good supply so i only express 4 times a day (6:30am, 12:30pm, 5:30pm, 10pm) and i get 150ml per breast at each express, so i am still making more then the baby needs. She is having 5 feeds a day and sleeps really well at night. I am still trying to reduce my supply as i am get blocked ducts often and have had mastitis 5 times in the 9 weeks. GRR

I am going today to see another lactation lady to try and get her on the breast or at least seek advice on reducing supply.

i am starting to get over the pumping a bit but i know it is the best i can do for my baby, i don't mind the expressing so much but the oversupply problem i have means my breast leak a lot and are often still very engorged and sore.

Hopefully will get some good advice today
    Those of you pumping, remember to pat yourself on the back it is hard work and you are doing great with every day you do!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for this thread! I have come to terms with everything except b'feeding. I really don't like my breasts looked at or touched and really don't want to b'feed, so will look to express for a little while.

What sort of pump do you use? I was thinking of hiring a hospital one?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there, yeah the breastfeeding part is hard to get a grips on.

I have been using mainly a hand pump, i hired a electric hospital grade one (Amenda) for a week from a chemist but it didn't work as well as my manual. Then after a few weeks of hand pumping and worrying if i was going to get bad RSI in my hand i bought a Medela single swing pump for $250 and it still doesn't work as good as my hand pump (pigeon) so i use the medela at night when the baby is asleep and i have happy to still there for twice as long (to give my hand a break) but normally during the day i use the pigeon hand pump cause it is faster.

It is a lot of hard work on my hand, and my back as i find you have to be learning forward otherwise the pump leaks. From other blogs i have read about expressing, almost all the women use electric double pumps and claim it increased their supply and they find it easier but isn't the case with me. Everyone is different so maybe hire one first to see if it suits you.

I got my baby on yesterday for two feeds, then the third one no good and she has damaged my nipples, so i am back to the pumping to give them a break. I would rather express then go through the pain my nipples are experiencing at the moment.

not sure how much longer i can go, i just keep setting small goals, my next one is 12 weeks (which is 2.5 weeks away) and then i will set another of 16 weeks. I am hoping to make it to 6 months at least but just small steps.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Anyone full-time expressing breast milk for baby

I've been expressing full time since my baby was born and she's now 6 months old. My next goal is 8 months. It can be done, but is challenging.

I have found this forum great for all sorts of information:

http://community.babycenter.com/grou...lusive_pumpers

I wish you all the luck for this journey.

Cheers
    shumwah. 😊

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Anyone full-time expressing breast milk for baby

Yep another "pumper" here! Doing it as I type actually...

I'm going on 7mths now... Similar story to so many others. DD wouldn't latch, frustrated, then latching one side only etc. Didn't know why, tried so many things in the first few weeks. 5 different lactation consultants, osteopath, chiropractor, bowen therapy. No one had the answer, very disheartening. Anyway we have now discovered bubs was born with a tight scm muscle in her neck, also called torticollis. This made it very difficult for her. Unfortunately at this stage the treatment has not fixed the BF as its been too long and she is well n truly over the boob!

In the end I think I was so desperate to BF, I tried & pushed her too hard

So at 7 mths I'm now pumping twice a day (morning & night) and getting enough for 3-4 feeds. The rest I FF. This works really well for me as it gives me back some time in my life, I can go out for the day & not have to worry about pumping! At this level ill probably get her to 12mths provided I can sustain my milk supply.

It's bloody hard at first, especially when your pumping all the time. No one tells you this! But it does get easier as your boobs get used to it & as bubs gets older you can gradually drop a pump every so often. HANG IN THERE!

Tips n tricks I've learnt:
    - get yourself a small manual pump to pop in your bag for when your out n about. Makes it easier if you want to go out for the day.
    - DOUBLE PUMP I can't stress this enough!
    - you can purchase good inexpensive hospital grade double pumps online. Unimom is one example.
    - get some milk bags & freeze your excess milk. Comes in handy later on when you start to drop some feeds.
    - DON'T STRESS! Easier said than done I know, but it really has such a huge impact on milk production
    - remind yourself of the benefits & positive aspects to bottle feeding EBM - you can leave bubs with a babysitter, dad can feed (and you can sleep in!), you wont get cracked & sore nipples, you can express then put your feet up & have a glass of wine!

If anybody has any questions feel free to ask!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Anyone full-time expressing breast milk for baby

Quote Originally Posted by mandmbaby View Post

I have been using mainly a hand pump, i hired a electric hospital grade one (Amenda) for a week from a chemist but it didn't work as well as my manual. Then after a few weeks of hand pumping and worrying if i was going to get bad RSI in my hand i bought a Medela single swing pump for $250 and it still doesn't work as good as my hand pump (pigeon) so i use the medela at night when the baby is asleep and i have happy to still there for twice as long (to give my hand a break) but normally during the day i use the pigeon hand pump cause it is faster.

It is a lot of hard work on my hand, and my back as i find you have to be learning forward otherwise the pump leaks. From other blogs i have read about expressing, almost all the women use electric double pumps and claim it increased their supply and they find it easier but isn't the case with me. Everyone is different so maybe hire one first to see if it suits you.

First of all, a manual pump will not establish or maintain a good supply, plus it will kill your hands! They are for occasional use. I'm not sure why it hasn't worked well for you, but in my opinion you really do need a double hospital grade pump if you are going to pump long term. Best one is medela symphony which you can hire.

For the leaking, check that the shield is the right size for your breasts. Medela make different sizes. Also get yourself a stretchy crop bra, put the pump shields on & lift the crop bra up over them. This will keep some pressure on them & help with the leaking.

Hope that helps!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Anyone full-time expressing breast milk for baby

Quote Originally Posted by mandmbaby View Post
    Hi Ladies,

Thanks for sharing your stories, my baby is now 10 weeks and i am still expressing full time. I seem to have a good supply so i only express 4 times a day (6:30am, 12:30pm, 5:30pm, 10pm) and i get 150ml per breast at each express, so i am still making more then the baby needs. She is having 5 feeds a day and sleeps really well at night. I am still trying to reduce my supply as i am get blocked ducts often and have had mastitis 5 times in the 9 weeks. GRR

I am going today to see another lactation lady to try and get her on the breast or at least seek advice on reducing supply.

i am starting to get over the pumping a bit but i know it is the best i can do for my baby, i don't mind the expressing so much but the oversupply problem i have means my breast leak a lot and are often still very engorged and sore.

Hopefully will get some good advice today
    Those of you pumping, remember to pat yourself on the back it is hard work and you are doing great with every day you do!
    Hi there i thought I would also give u some advice do not reduce your supply!! The 3 months growth spurt is around the corner and your baby will want lots of ebm. When it happened to my DD she was drinking close to 1.2 L and I was lucky to always pump more than she eats. Then after that she stays on the 1L to 1.1 L mark for a month now. It may or may not happen but thought this may be helpful

Thanks
    Reviews
    Me. Plus letting bb latch on for feeds, then feeds using SNS, and also for comfort sucking.

Thanks
    Reviews
    HI Ladies,

Good to know their are some other full time-pumping mums out their.

I had a bit of a roller coaster week last week, thinking I wanted to quit, however I always set myself a goal of 6 month only breast milk and I feel if i stop before then I may regret it.
    My mum actually gave me some good advice, think about your two options.
    1- start to slowdown pumping and stop or
    2- continue for a another month and get her through to 6 months.
    She told me to go with whatever option i felt most comfortable with, so i am continuing for a bit longer.

My baby is now 14 weeks, and so I am hoping to do another 6 weeks at 3 solid pumps a day, then drop down to two, then one. I am lucky to have a very strong supply (express at least 1200mls daily) so I have plenty frozen to hopefully get her through to 6-8 months before introducing formula.

I know most 'pumping and expressing guidelines/advice' say to get an electric double pump and express 8 times a day for the first 12 weeks. I just want to share a bit of my experience in case their are others out there.

I know someone commented that a hand pump was not suitable for full time expressing and would hinder my supply. I just want to mention that I have found the electric pumps to be bad for my supply, it takes longer and i don't make as much milk. So i use my hand pump full time and haven't had any supply issues.

I also broke the 'guideline rules' of pumping at least 6-8 times a day for the first 12 weeks. I only ever pumped 6 times a day to begin with (started1.5 week) and I just had major oversupply and engorgement issues I dropped pumps at 6 and 9 weeks and now pump 3 times a day (if i have something on, and the timetable doesn't suit I may pump 4 times)

Everyone's bodies and situations are different so you just need to find what works for you and your family.

Pumping is hard work, and we need to remember that we are doing a great thing and giving our baby a great gift in life.

Keep smiling