+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Anyone full-time expressing breast milk for baby

Hi, I am full time expressing and bottle feeding my baby EBM as after terrible trouble latching on, a few lots of mastitis and even seeing the baby chiropractor we haven't improved her latching skills.

So due to naturally having a bigger supply of milk, i am expressing full time. Just wondering if anyone else is doing this? as i would love to share/chat with someone in a similar situation.

My baby is now 7 weeks old and we have been doing it for 5/6 weeks. I keep trying to put her one daily but doesn't look like it will happen. I just try to take every day as it comes, but would love to make it to 6 months.

it is very time consuming and i find i spend my day feeding the baby, then settling the baby, then expressing, having something to eat, maybe do some washing and then the process all over again. But i keep telling myself it is worth it- for my little girl.

any thoughts or tips would be helpful

Thanks
    Reviews

Hi I was doing the exact same thing till my DD was about 8 weeks. She found it impossible to latch on and couldn't use a nipple shield (don't know if you've tried this but it works for a lot of people as a short term thing). After 2 months of expressing and trying continually to get her on, one day she started latching but not 100% as she should be so it was really really sore for a few days then after that she just got it and now latches on first go every go and feeds like a champion.

I went to see lactation consultants etc etc when we couldn't get it to work who said my nipple is too big for her small mouth as it flattened out a but when she went to take it in and that eventually her mouth would mature. I am soooo glad I perservered as our bf relationship is very special (and expressing is very hard work!)

Not sure why you are having troubles latching but you can get lots oh help from your local health clinic lactation consultant who can also refer you to tresillian or karitane or you can phone the ABA. They can really help you out with any attaching issues or if you can't get this to work try a double pump -it saved my life!!! Took way less than half the time to express than with a single. Also an LC taught me to rub the inside of my mouth/top if gums with my tongue to help let down and to look at/hold bubs if u can as these really help shorten pump time too.

Keep up the great work and keep in mind that the situation can change hugely in just a few weeks so never give up!!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to me+he&she=three For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (12-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Anyone full-time expressing breast milk for baby

Hey I am not expressing full time, just part time as I am studying 3 days a week. It is so hard and you should be so proud of yourself for doing so well!! Have you spoken to the ABA about the matching issues? I hear they are fantastic

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks the support ladies. Yeah i have been to two different LC and they just told me to keep trying, i tried using a nipple shield for a few days but still she wasn't latching on properly and wrecking my nipples.

I have a hand pump and a medela swing single pump. I hired a double pump for a week way back to clear my first lot of mastitis and i found it wasn't as good as my hand pump and even the medela swing i find takes longer then my hand pump. I only pump 6 times a day- as that is the amount of feeds the baby takes.

Not sure if i will need any meds, i can pump 200mls off one breast and 150mls off the other breast each feed and even more at my 2:30am feed. Pumping is a lot of hard work, and my naturally high volume of milk is what keeps my going. I have a major freezer stock.

I tried to put her to the breast today, after i had given her 100mls from the bottle and she latched on very well- so there is good signs that i might be able to get her back on the breast full time, although i am trying to not get to excited yet. will give it a few days.

Thanks
    Reviews

That's great news well done! Take things one day at a time and dont get stressed or anxious about it as bubs picks up on those vibes....if bubs latches one feed and not the next just go back to the bottle and try and try again.

Good luck with it and keep up the great work - you feel so much happier knowing bubs is getting the benefit of breastmilk.

Also forgot to mention in my first post - another tip if you need to express a little longer but don't want to have nipple confusion/laziness do you can revert to the breast one day is to use pigeon parastoltic teats which simulate breast feeding (these were recommended by my private LC) ive also heard the closer to nature ones are good too but we used pigeon and our DD had no problem going back and forth between bottle/breast when we were trying to get the feeding going and now prefers breast (for that odd feed when I'm away from her!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I'm expressing ebm cause of attachment issues.

I'm getting tired of it but not sure if I can do the whole bf thing anyway.

I only get maybe 70 mils from both each express.
    Baby takes 120 mls of formula

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by angelanathan View Post
    I'm expressing ebm cause of attachment issues.

I'm getting tired of it but not sure if I can do the whole bf thing anyway.

I only get maybe 70 mils from both each express.
    Baby takes 120 mls of formula
    Expressing can be SO draining. I had to express every day for my ds to mix it with his medication. It was only once a day that I needed to express but I did it for 4 months and by the time I'd finished I hated it. I didn't remotely want to express for my dd and of course she was born big, with a low sugar so I needed to express 8 times a day from day 1! Argh!!

The bottom line is every day is a bonus. A healthy & happy mother is the most important thing. If you spend an hour feeding a baby & changing a baby, then express for 20 - 30 minutes, then grab something to eat, then start all over again (my kids both liked 2 hourly feeds at times) then that's no life. It's seriously hard work. If you have help to do the bottle feeds, changes, etc then it might be easier, but it's still really hard. Feeding a baby (BFing or FFing) is hard work and time consuming and throwing expressing into the mix makes it a lot harder.

I'm all for promoting breast milk, but not to the detriment of the mothers health - physical & emotional.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Mim1

Yes I agree, I put her on right side only and she does not seem full. I font bother with right side.
    I don't get a good night sleep, they are always sore. By the weekend I think I will stop.
    Any ideas on stopping? Do I just leave them alone?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    mandmbaby- if you have oversupply, you might find that expressing excess milk is actually increasing the problem. that is a disadvantage of expressing over direct breastfeeding.

the aba can help with oversupply issues as well as low supply.

https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bfinfo/toomuch.html

Thanks
    Reviews
    yep I am doing it full time, since DD was 2 weeks and now she is almost 3 month. I started doing it 8/9 times a day, now down to 7 and is able to express 1.2 L a day. it was tough at the beginning, DD wasn't latch on correctly and wasn't sucking right (the usual big nipple, small mouth, flat nipple...etc)so I always needed to express after each feed. it became extremely time consuming nd DD wasn't gaining weight that the nurse recommended taking ebm. That turned to FT pumping. every now and then I do try to pop DD back on the breasts but every time my nipples get damaged once your bub has a routine it becomes a lot easier, I usually express after the feed so I can talk/play with dd and express at the same time. I have a double pump and is able to find a way to pump hands free so I get a lot done during the middle of the night pump when DD is sleeping.