+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Short first AF after D&C

My AF appeared 4 weeks after my D&C, but is totally unlike any AF I've had before. Usually I start with light bleeding, build up to moderate/heavy, then have a gradual slow-down, with the whole cycle lasting about 6 days. However, this AF started suddenly on Wednesday afternoon, was moderate on Thursday and friday, and then suddenly stopped on Friday night (like turning off a tap). I had a tiny bit of cramping on Wednesday, but otherwise it was pretty painless.

I still had HCG lingering in my system until about a week before AF started, so maybe there just wasn't time to build up much lining. But it's nonetheless got me freaked out, worrying about whether the D&C has caused permanent issues. (Damn you, Dr Google!)

Has anyone else experienced a similarly short AF in their first cycle after a D&C? Did your AF return to normal next cycle? And did it cause any problems down the track?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't have a D & C but a ectopic pregnancy and i know that my first period after it was extremely odd i like you normally have light first 2 days, then heavyish 2 days then lightens off for 2 days. but the first one i had was quick only mod to light flow and lasted 3 or 4 days. then after that one i had my mirena put it so now they are always light. i think it's very normal and just your body trying to get back to normal but if your really concerned best to talk to your gynea about it

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tutu & Lulu For This Useful Post:

Gentoo  (10-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Gentoo, hopefully it is just the body righting itself after the D&C as the endometrium was scraped away and the lining can be thin for up to 6 months after that anyway. D&C's can cause Asherman's syndrome (scar tissue in the uterus) so good idea to keep an eye on your cycle for a while. If it stops altogether or becomes scanty I would definitely investigate it further.

More info on Asherman's syndrome here: http://www.bubhub.com.au/community/f...man-s-Syndrome
    All the best and hope your sticky bub arrives very soon

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there,

I had a m/c before but it happened as AF at about 6 weeks, so never had a D&C for that. But after that, my usual 3-day AF became 1.5-day AF the following month and for more than a year it remained like that. It made me worried having such short AF meaning not a lot of menstrual flow too.

I also had a D&C several months following my m/c as my dr did a hysteroscopy to check my plumbing and at the same time did the d&c just to clean up my womb. I still did get AF after that but it was light. So it could be that for you. I have asked my OB cos I wasn't expecting an AF after D&C but he did tell me it is normal to have a light one.

Anyway for my situation about short light AF, I had scans done during my follicular phase (cant rem which CD now) and it always come up to be very thick. In fact my endometrial lining at my last ET was always thicker than normal. For my last ET, it was even about 24mm. So the reason my AF is short and light yet having such a thick lining is still a mystery to me.

If your AF doesn't return normal length, you might want to request for scans to monitor your lining thickness.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your replies. Ashermans is one of the possibilities that popped up when I did a Google search (and got me worrying!) I really hope everything is just settling down and it doesn't turn out to be that - really don't need it. I'm somewhat troubled by the reported frequency of Asherman's after a D&C - the OB mentioned a couple of possible issues that could result from the surgery, but that was absolutely not discussed!

I'll wait a couple of cycles and keep my fingers crossed that AF returns to normal. If I do need to go see the GP then, at least I now know to ask about Asherman's, and to ask about having uterine lining monitoring done.