+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Meal replacement shakes

Go the Usana System. Google it... It's really awesome, scientifically based and actually resets your system to go low GI. Much better for you than the other more sugar based systems

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

DH tried rapid loss shakes, like u he would have a shake for lunch. He lost weigh and they were filling, he liked banana but said the chocolate was rubbish. I'm not keen on that kinda thing as I see it it would be better to have a salad or a milk shake but it worked for him :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Degrassi View Post
    Okay ladies, you've turned me off going down the road of shakes now!

I've never tried nor considered them before, probably with good reason.

I just need to make lunches that are quicker and easier to eat, allowing more time to get out and walk. I tend to 'assemble' my lunches at my desk, which is time consuming.

And to be honest, no one is clock watching here to see how long I'm taking for lunch.

I don't have a massive amount of weight to shift (maybe 5kg?). I can do it!
    You could always do something that doesn're require much effort or refridgeration... Vita-Weet Sandwich slices with Sardines/Tuna with tomato, a tin of fruit as well? Just for reference, 1 of those sandwich slices with 4 slices tomato, 1 small tin of tuna in brine, and then a tin of fruit is 260 Calories, a nice high-protein meal to fill you and sustain you too. They could easily be prepped at your desk and eaten easily enough because no refridgeration necessary!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Hi, so far I have lost approx 5-6kg with a combination of:
    -shakes (breakfast/lunch)
    - approx 2 pieces of fruit
    - approx 3 cookies from the cookie diet
    - normal dinner (slight less starch carbs) + big bowl steamed veggies

It has been slow as i eat pretty normal on the weekends. Im aiming to lose another 2-3kg

Thanks
    Reviews

I'm still starving after the shakes lol. I suggest munching healthy at your desk so you can still use that 30mins for walking. (providing your employer doesn't mind?)

Rutabaga is offline Getting it together, one day at a time.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I've tried the shakes, they're alright but not for everyone. Now I put a fruit smoothie in the cup and shake a bit of psyllium husk through it at work. Keeps me fuller longer and I can pick and choose what I feel like having.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Rutabaga For This Useful Post:

backgroundnoise  (10-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Personally, I think shakes are fine so long as you work them around a balanced diet and know they are not a long term solution. They were really good for me to get my portion control sorted out and helped me realise that I just ate too much. I only use them occasionally as a kick start and they are also good to have as a back up for not cooking or when you can't be bothered. Sometimes you just can't be stuffed making a salad and a shake for me is a good quick alternative to this instead of having 2 minute noodles.
    They are also a good motivational tool as you get quick results.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Using meal replacements shakes is a good idea, as long as you have a solid diet with them.

Relying exclusively on shakes is a dangerous thing, since your body needs solid meals with the liquid ones. That being said, are they necessary: NO.
    Are they convenient for someone who has a busy schedule or can't be bothered to prepare meals (healthy ones): SURE THING!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I see my old thread has been rebooted!

I never ended up trying the shakes, not sure I ever will.

I am fortunate that my body responds well to sensible eating and moderate exercise, so that's my approach when I start to get a little 'cuddly'. The old simple calories in vs calories out.