+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Meal replacement shakes

Has anyone used meal replacement shakes and been happy with the results?

I'm thinking of trying them out just for lunch time as I work full time and seriously need to start fitting exercise into my busy life. My weight has crept up and I'm just not happy with the way I look.

I figure if I have a shake instead of sitting at my desk munching then I'll be able to go for a 30 minute walk in my lunch break.

I was hoping someone could recommend a good brand?

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

I guess it depends on whether it's something you want short term or long term. Weightloss shakes will only keep the weight off for a short time, where if you made a lifestyle change instead the weightloss would be a long term thing. The moment you stop the shakes, the weight will come back.

If its a time thing, perhaps you could look at more healthier alternatives to eat instead?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by RunawayPrincess View Post
    I guess it depends on whether it's something you want short term or long term. Weightloss shakes will only keep the weight off for a short time, where if you made a lifestyle change instead the weightloss would be a long term thing. The moment you stop the shakes, the weight will come back.

If its a time thing, perhaps you could look at more healthier alternatives to eat instead?
    I'm hearing you. I've never considered them before, as I'm fairly cluded up on how to eat to lose weight (which I will be doing) and have had success in the past dropping a few kg's with the right eating and exercise.

I just thought maybe it might work for me just to cut down on 'eating time' and use my lunch break for walking time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Maybe you could look into things like home made soups or smoothies, instead? That way you can spend less time eating, but you are still actually eating real food?
    Or maybe foods you can eat while walking?
    Or if you spent 10 mins eating and 20 walking?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I think they could be good for someone who would normally skip meals (so use in place of breakfast or something), or to lose a small amount of weight in a short period of time, but not if you want long-term weight loss or a large amount of weight to come off.

They're also incredibly restrictive and quite vile. Some are nicer than others, but they're still, overall, pretty untasty. The diets that go along with them are also very restrictive, so that can make things hard in regards to sticking to the plan.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Okay ladies, you've turned me off going down the road of shakes now!

I've never tried nor considered them before, probably with good reason.

I just need to make lunches that are quicker and easier to eat, allowing more time to get out and walk. I tend to 'assemble' my lunches at my desk, which is time consuming.

And to be honest, no one is clock watching here to see how long I'm taking for lunch.

I don't have a massive amount of weight to shift (maybe 5kg?). I can do it!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

SassyMummy  (10-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

I think it's a good idea to do that some lunchtime but not all of them as your body starts to get used to it after a while, my mom us personal trainer and a part of that is doing diets for people and she says the key is variety don't eat the same thing everyday if you want to lose weight. I currently have optslim shake mixed with protein powder for breakfast three times a week and I find them delicious and also find them good for losing weight mind you I do a lot of exercise as well. If your not doing taking 2-3 shakes a day like some of them advise for extreme weightloss then I think you'll be fine a see your weight drop off steadily which is good as the longer it takes to come off means the longer it will take to come back on but yeah I think the main things in weightloss is variety and portion control the rest is just to get moving hope that's of some help

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I used celebrity slim shakes for a couple of months to drop the last few kilos before my wedding.

I had two a day, healthy snacks and dinner.

In the two months I managed to lose 8kg and kept it off till falling pregnant.

The shakes weren't bad tasting at all, I quite liked them

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I lost a fair bit on Optislim shakes (11 kilos in 4 weeks) and while I didn't gain the weight back after coming off them (until I got the mirena 4 months later) I was always exhausted. I was doing an hour and half at the gym everyday as well as working full time and I had the girls to look after.

Got me the results I wanted but physically I was stuffed all the time. I was only having 3 shakes a day though and not eating.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I'd be wary. My sister was on them and kept fainting. Also caught every cold going around.