Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Private hospital births: 'horror' figures

Quote Originally Posted by Glover View Post
    4under4....studies like this....
    thus I provided a link to stats point given
    Sorry, I'm not following you. I agree that studies have shown again and again intervention rates are higher in private. I just felt that the original newspaper article we were discussing was very subjective and biased.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 4underfour For This Useful Post:

Glover  (10-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Haha no problems!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 4underfour For This Useful Post:

Glover  (10-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Things I have learnt from this thread
    - some people had great experiences at public hospitals
    - some people had great experiences at private hospitals
    - some people had bad experiences at public hospitals
    - some people had bad experiences at private hospitals
    - some people want a midwife managed pregnancy
    - some people want a medically managed pregnancy
    - some people hated their OB
    - some people loved their OB
    - some people hated their midwife
    - some people loved their midwife

It's pointless sitting here and everyone saying 'i had a wonderful birth at a private hospital, therefore everyone should go private' or 'I had a wonderful waterbirth at a public hospital therefore everyone should go public'.

That doesn't help, because there is no blanket 'wonderful birth experience', everyone has a different idea.

Putting all of Australia into one statistic is pointless as it balances out the extremes on either end of the spectrum. It's silly to say private hospitals in NSW have a 75% Caesar rate (making that up), therefore you shouldn't go private if you don't want a caesar when the private hospital in your town actually only has a 10% Caesar rate.

So my suggestion is - figure out what you want and seek the care provider in your areas that is going to give it to you. General public vs private debates are pointless because as this thread as shown there is a wide spectrum of experiences that have been had in private and public hospitals across Australia. And what may be your ideal experience may be someone else's worst nightmare.
    Last edited by wannawannabe; 10-09-2012 at 22:06.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to wannawannabe For This Useful Post:

sparklebug  (10-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    we're talking about increased CS rates, not people's personal experiences...
    Statistics are pointless? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by wannawannabe View Post
    Things I have learnt from this thread
    - some people had great experiences at public hospitals
    - some people had great experiences at private hospitals
    - some people had bad experiences at public hospitals
    - some people had bad experiences at private hospitals
    - some people want a midwife managed pregnancy
    - some people want a medically managed pregnancy
    - some people hated their OB
    - some people loved their OB
    - some people hated their midwife
    - some people loved their midwife

It's pointless sitting here and everyone saying 'i had a wonderful birth at a private hospital, therefore everyone should go private' or 'I had a wonderful waterbirth at a public hospital therefore everyone should go public'.

That doesn't help, because there is no blanket 'wonderful birth experience', everyone has a different idea.

Putting all of Australia into one statistic is pointless as it balances out the extremes on either end of the spectrum. It's silly to say private hospitals in NSW have a 75% Caesar rate (making that up), therefore you shouldn't go private if you don't want a caesar when the private hospital in your town actually only has a 10% Caesar rate.

So my suggestion is - figure out what you want and seek the care provider in your areas that is going to give it to you. General public vs private debates are pointless because as this thread as shown there is a wide spectrum of experiences that have been had in private and public hospitals across Australia. And what may be your ideal experience may be someone else's worst nightmare.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Glover For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (10-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Glover View Post
    we're talking about increased CS rates, not people's personal experiences...
    Statistics are pointless? Really?
    I'm saying you need to look at individual statistics for individual hospitals, not statistics for regions, states, or the whole country because whilst that demonstrates the stats for that entire population it doesn't help with picking hospitals/care providers.

And in case you haven't noticed this has turned into a public vs private debate.

You also need to look at the reasons for increased caesarean rates. There are more high risk women having babies then there was ever before, there are more women choosing interventions (such as epidurals) that put them at a high risk of a caesarean section, there are women electing to chose them, there are more caesareans being performed for breech and multiple births. Not saying its a bad thing, but there a multitude of reasons as to why caesarean section rates may have increased and its impossible to pinpoint them because there could never be a blind trial carried out.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to wannawannabe For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (11-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Maybe they do go private to elect a c-section, but how does that explain significantly higher rates of induction, episiotomy, instrument delivery?

And episiotomy for cultural reasons, never heard of it, but don't think it would increase the rates significantly, plus they would still be able to get one in a public hospital.
    I just feel that with the mums I know the ones who went private were more aware of all their options as opposed to public- not saying its always the case, with my last pregnancy I went public, but- paid to have an ob, so it was like public hospital, private patient type thing, at all the seminar type things at the hospital intervention was not really talked about, if it was addressed it was addressed in a negative way by the midwife, where as when I went to my ob it was just facts. The good and the bad- and the scary.

I don't believe any ob's in this day age give everyone patient they see an episiotomy, I was asked by my ob in a public hospital, but even he said he was leaning towards not doing one.
    In my case I can say that not all ob's want to go the intervention way without cause.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by headoverfeet View Post
    Lol how appropriate!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by headoverfeet View Post
    Haven't clicked it but gonna guess Monty Python, The Meaning of Life - Birth?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to wannawannabe For This Useful Post:

headoverfeet  (11-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    GRRRRRR THIS STUDY IS ANNOYING ME.

It's completely flawed and I'm miffed it's getting any kind of air time at all because the bit they forgot to include makes the numbers entirely irrelevant.

The women surveyed were not asked whether their interventions were requested or not.

Yet these figures are being tossed around as though they speak for unwanted intervention. They DO NOT. Whether the women planned elective c-sections or not is not taken into account, whether a woman was exhausted and asked for ventouse assistance is not taken into account. We all know women that request epidurals, they're rarely "forced" onto people. It doesn't take this into account at all, only that interventions happened.

Well interventions aren't always inflicted upon women who don't want them. This study is making noise like they are.

It's COMPLETELY irrelevant as any kind of statement without this information. Interventions don't happen in a vacuum. There are plenty of times interventions are requested, and for them to not take this into account is ridiculous.

If they asked whether the interventions were wanted or not, THEN they might have some interesting stats with which to start a conversation -- but they don't want to start a conversation, they just want to make private hospitals look like they're salivating while waiting to gut us all like fish. They just want to say "Intervention baaaaad, natural, gooooood!" like it was that simple.

Absolute rubbish and shouldn't be getting the kind of traction it is.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Leens For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (11-09-2012),MummaOJ  (11-09-2012),wannawannabe  (11-09-2012)