+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Private hospital births: 'horror' figures

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Only in a private hospital, I guess. I had a tear with my daughter, wasn't asked about episiotomy.

If I was in a private hospital, probably would've been scared into it given the fact I have big babies, over 4 kg for my first and almost 5kg for my second, and no tear at all with my nearly 5kg baby! Lucky I wasn't asked for an episiotomy because of baby's large size just in case!
    I went to a public hospital and was asked if I'd prefer to tear or an episiotomy if required. I opted for tear.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Quote Originally Posted by 1CrazyMoose View Post
    I'm sorry but I am yet to know anyone who has been satisfied with the care they were given in a public hospital and all have said they definitely didn't have continuity of care. I am speaking from friends who have delivered in public hospitals all over Qld.

I had continuity of care and was very happy with my public intervention- free birth. I'm in QLD

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I had a shocking time as a public patient in a very well known public hospital. They literally forgot about me during a labour that was high risk. They also sent me home with a massive infection and never once called for a doctor to check me over even though I kept telling them I was sick.

Anyhow - that is why I went private, I paid my ob, lots of money - to make sure that he was there when the baby/ies came out. And he was. If I hadn't of had that awful public hospital experience I have no doubt I would never have hired an ob. Ever. I had never even considered it before hand.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Im glad to hear so many of you have had good care in the public system (it returns some good faith to the system for me) I know though that many of my friends that went public are still paying for not having some sort of intervention months later. I guess it greatly depends on the hospital also.

I am having my 3rd and because we have moved to a remote area I am having this bub at a public hospital (my other two were private) however my normal go is the dr who delivers at the hospital. This public country hospital does have a good rep but I do know several that have extremely bad reps and that's coming from mums and midwives.

I guess it's personal and individual on the care you get and where you go. But glad to see some of you have had great care!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BornToBe View Post
    Not sure why, when tearing heals quicker & easier, and is less painful?

I have no idea. I'm guessing that the women who go to private hospitals may prefer the more 'controlled' approach of an episi. I've never had either so I can't comment.

FWIW, I have had wonderful experiences at private hospitals. 3 wonderful natural, non interventional (even down to no internal exams) births. And one intervention filled twin delivery (induced, forceps, epidural). But I'm forever grateful that my wonderful ob was able to deliver all 5 of my kids naturally.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Many public hospitals offer a midwifery group practice, birth centre or midwifery teams. Which all offer continuity of care.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think the rates of csects in private hospitals is to do with the fact the health funds are paying for it. There was a story in the news papers about public hospitals being asked to reduce the number of csects as it was costing too much. In my own experience it was the public hospital obs who pushed me to have a csect , my private ob respected my wishes and let me have a natural birth. I did have to be induced on a weekday tho as it was going to cost more to get a theatre team in if the birth did go wrong so I think that shows how much money has to do with it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If people are concerned about the validity of the article, all you have to do is look on google or a good site like this:
    http://www.mybirth.com.au/birth-stat...php?selstate=0

I am concerned that the rates are high vs. public. Why? This should really be addressed.
    I am for the choice of the woman, if you want to have an elective c-section, have a good reason.
    Remember some public hospitals may have higher rates of CS due to the acuity and health of bubs, and women.

Adding, you can look at stats for all of Victoria here:
    http://www.health.vic.gov.au/maternitycare/
    Last edited by Glover; 10-09-2012 at 21:46.

Thanks
    Reviews

I don't think people are concerned about the validity of the study, more about the authors assumptions as to why the results were as shown. Ie sweeping comments such as obs treat all women as high risk, and obs plan CS and interventions to fit in with their schedule

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 4underfour For This Useful Post:

sparklebug  (10-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    4under4....studies like this....
    thus I provided a link to stats point given

Quote Originally Posted by Tutu & Lulu View Post
    I hate studies like this because then there is so many people on their high horse telling everyone how their c-section wasn't needed and was just unnecessary and really they could have just had a natural birth in a public hospital, Well guess what that isn't always the case sometimes c-sections really are needed sometimes that is the best thing to be done. I realise that sometimes they are done unnecessary but sometimes they just aren't i really don't think there is a way that they can measure what was really needed and what was just to be convienient