+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Private hospital births: 'horror' figures

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    You can have continuity of care without having an ob.
    I'm sorry but I am yet to know anyone who has been satisfied with the care they were given in a public hospital and all have said they definitely didn't have continuity of care. I am speaking from friends who have delivered in public hospitals all over Qld.

Also you say elective c-section could make up part of the stats but I can assure you, ALOT of women elect to be induced (probably more then those who choose an elective c-section) for various reasons. It's a lot less full on then a c-section and it offers a lot of fifo parents the opportunity to be there (for one reason) of course there are greater risks of complications which I am guessing would make up for the rest of the high stats like instrument intervention etc. however the initial inducement was wanted (maybe not warranted) by the patient.

I was one of these patients twice. While I was induced I had no intervention by the use of instruments or drugs. But I wouldn't change my choice in opting to be induced. I was also low risk.

Many mums in private care CHOOSE these options because they DON'T get that choice in public. THAT is why the stats are much higher.
    Last edited by 1CrazyMoose; 10-09-2012 at 18:37.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Quote Originally Posted by wannawannabe View Post
    Best care and best experience is different for each people.

I just went camping through the Canadian Rockies and had a blast. I know plenty of people who's idea of camping is 3 star hotels and would have stayed at the hotels along the way. Doesn't mean my trip was the better way of doing it nor does it mean there's was. It was what suited us best.
    I agree that is why I do not think you should be forced to see a midwife, if your low risk, you should be given the option to see an ob.
    I guess this would depend on your state as well though. But in Vic without a lot of $$$$$ your not getting anywhere near an ob

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sparklebug For This Useful Post:

beebs  (10-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Yeh, because lots of women would ask for an episiotomy!
    Umm yes, women do ask for an episiotomy. Often they may be given the choice between tearing and having an episi

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by BornToBe View Post
    This article has nothing to do with elective c-section, or choosing pain relief. It's about the statistics reflecting that there are much higher intervention rates at private hospitals in comparison to public hospitals for low risk women.

It's not anti-ob or pro midwife, it's highlighting the fact that hiring an obstetrician as a low risk pregnant woman leads to greater rates of intervention. That's it. There is no attack on women or their choices here - it is the care providers who are at fault. There must also be variables that we are not aware of - it's a newspaper story, after all.
    You are joking right. That article is so pro midwife and anti ob it's a joke. So many subjective and unsubstantiated comments in there by surprise surprise, a midwife.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 4underfour For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (11-09-2012),sparklebug  (10-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 4underfour View Post
    Umm yes, women do ask for an episiotomy. Often they may be given the choice between tearing and having an episi
    Not sure why, when tearing heals quicker & easier, and is less painful?

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by 1CrazyMoose View Post
    I'm sorry but I am yet to know anyone who has been satisfied with the care they were given in a public hospital and all have said they definitely didn't have continuity of care. I am speaking from friends who have delivered in public hospitals all over Qld.
    Well you do now.
    I went through a midwifery group practice where you are assigned a midwife who does pre-natal, birth and ante-natal care. The midwife if part of a group of midwives (about 6) which you get to all meet and discuss your pregnancy, concerns and birth choices. Should you not get your assigned midwife at the birth (she might busy with another woman etc) then you will get one of the other midwives from the group practice, which is what happened with me. The midwife was with me through the birth, she knew I wanted an intervention free birth and delayed cord clamping and that's what I got. When I had the severe PPH she came with me into surgery and held my hand the whole time I was getting fixed up. She then stayed with me whilst I was in post op care and through to the proper ward. She was lovely.

Throughout the pregnancy I saw an OB on one occasion for about 5 minutes (even though I might be considered risky given my age). Having an OB doesn't necessarily mean continuity of care and I doubt very much they would be the one supporting you through labour. They would just be the one to 'catch' the baby so to speak.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (10-09-2012)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Blossompossum View Post
    What!!! That's crazy, what hospital can I ask?
    Galliers at Armadale in Perth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by 1CrazyMoose View Post

I have had 1 private natural birth and 5 public natural births. I would pick the 5 public ones anyday.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by 4underfour View Post
    Only in a private hospital, I guess. I had a tear with my daughter, wasn't asked about episiotomy.

If I was in a private hospital, probably would've been scared into it given the fact I have big babies, over 4 kg for my first and almost 5kg for my second, and no tear at all with my nearly 5kg baby! Lucky I wasn't asked for an episiotomy because of baby's large size just in case!

Thanks
    Reviews

I have delivered all my babies in the same public hospital with all my pregnancies. This is my 3rd baby, I have not had problems at all, in fact my local hospital is fantastic. They offer a community program where you see the same midwife throughout, who also attends the birth.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast